Chapter 21

☘️

"Wow..."

You had arrived at Lambad's Tavern, dressed nicely and neatly. Apu was already waiting for you at the entrance, and when he noticed you, his gaze turned into awe.

"Sorry if I'm late." You said.

"No, it's alright. You look very beautiful." He expressed.

You giggled. "Let's go inside."

You and Apu walked inside to find a table to sit at. Strangely... the place was vacant.

"Where is everyone?" You looked around after Apu pulled your chair out for you, noticing the empty atmosphere.

"Another tavern is having a specialty today. I assume that's where everyone is." Apu sat down in front of you, smiling.

Shaking off the eery feeling, you looked down at the menu.

"Do you plan on eating dessert?" He asked.

"...Yeah. It's been so long since I've had a good cake..." You giggled.

"Ah, here comes the waiter."

You looked up to see an unfamiliar face greeting you. You knew the owner of the tavern, considering that he typically was the one to wait tables.

"...I'll have some wine." You replied.

"Of course." He nodded.

"I'll do the same." Apu said.

After the waiter walked off, your gut started to tell you that things were strange.

"How come the owner isn't here..." You looked back at Apu, who gave a meaningless smile.

"I heard he's taking some time off."

"Ah..." You fumbled with your hands in your lap. "So... um... what are you going to eat?"

Apu never took his gaze off of you as he spoke. "Something wet. Sweet."

You let out a nervous laugh. "Wet and sweet? What kind of dish would that be?"

Apu grinned, letting his face lay onto his hand. "A very fine dish."

You bit your lip, trying to give another laugh to hide your uncomfortable expression.

Apu didn't stop looking at you.

"Um... I'm kinda out of things to say." You said, a crack happening in your voice.

Apu smiled more. "That's alright. Your presence is enough to keep me occupied."

Now you were climbing to your breaking point. "Um, so... why did you choose this place, rather than the one that was having a specialty?"

"Because this place is quiet. Empty. That way, only me and you can spend time together." Apu replied.

You noticed how the waiter hadn't returned yet. All you did was order two glasses of wine... what could be taking so long?

Biting your tongue, you looked back down at the menu.

A few seconds of silence passed, and the waiter reappeared.

"Here you are." He placed down the glasses of wine on the table, looking back at Apu. "Are you ready to order?"

Apu nodded. He ordered his food, which was the complete opposite of 'wet and sweet'. You nervously told the waiter your order, and watched him walked off.

"I thought you were going to get something sweet?" You asked, picking up your wine.

"I will." He replied.

You avoided eye contact as you sipped your wine. It tasted... salty.

Forcing it down your throat, you put it back down on the table and gave a sour look.

"Is something wrong?" He asked.

"Does your wine taste weird?" You looked at his glass.

He picked it up and drank a bit of it. "...Tastes like normal wine to me."

You figured that since the waiter was new or something, he might have confused your drink with something else. But you specifically said wine...

You stopped making excuses for his actions. You pushed the wine aside, trying to fill the empty room with sound.

"Are you alright?" Apu asked.

"Yeah. Quiet rooms like this just feel... weird." You said.

You suddenly started feeling drowsy.

Blinking, you looked up at Apu.

He was still smiling.

"Why are you smiling so much?" You asked.

"Sorry. I'm just happy to see you again." He reached into his pocket, pulling out a strange box. "I also got you a 'welcome home' gift."

You smiled. "Aw, that's so... sweet."

Instead of him giving it to you, he opened it himself.

You closed your eyes and reopened them, your body growing heavy.

"Do you know what this is?" He asked.

You looked at the strange crystal. Your heart plummeted from your chest.

"...Why do you have that knowledge capsule?"

He laughed. "You're so smart... so gentle... so naive." Apu pulled the crystal out of the box, standing up.

He walked to your side and grabbed your chin.

Now that you knew this was clearly a setup, you started to panic.

You tried to stand up, but Apu pushed you back down.

"This won't hurt like it did with the others. I promise." He rubbed his thumb over your lip.

You tried to push him away from you, but you felt dizzy and disoriented.

Apu brought the crystal to your forehead, and you gasped as your head was filled with some sort of foreign feeling.

He dropped the crystal after you had absorbed all its energy. Swaying your body, you felt him pick you up and push your back onto the table, pulling your legs to his shoulders.

He hovered over you, looking at your intoxicated state.

But for some reason, all you could feel was... nothing.

"...What's your assignment?" Apu whispered.

Your mouth moved before you could even think. "...To make another Akasha system..."

"Good girl." Apu pulled the strap of your gown off your shoulder. "...Where are your research notes?"

"...In my office..."

"Good, good. Now tell me... where is Lesser Lord Kusanali now?"

"...The San—"

Your words were cut off when Apu was suddenly body slammed by another figure.

Your legs fell down along with your body. Your throat grew hot, but you fell limp, as if you were some sort of machine.

A familiar presence caught you.

You felt a tiny hand placed onto your forehead, and the last thing you could make out was Alhaitham beating the daylight out of Apu.