Chapter 11

☘️

You fumbled with the envelope in your hands, pulling out the paper.

Alhaitham watched you as you examined it.

"Oh, it's from Kaveh." You smiled.

Alhaitham folded his arms. "Why would he send you a letter?"

"It's a drawing of a new building he's designing. He always sent me copies before I left." You giggled. "And he still leaves his large signature at the bottom."

Alhaitham cleared his throat. "I knew the two of you were close, but I didn't know you were this close."

"Of course. He's my best friend." You said.

"Just your best friend?" Alhaitham asked.

"Yeah? He's like a big brother to me." You responded, looking at him.

"...Nevermind. We should go back to our conversation." Alhaitham turned to look back down at your desk. "Reza was only one of my three suspects. The next person is someone from the Matra that has been helping him get his goods through."

"Makes sense. I was wondering how he was able to get them cleared." You replied. "Are we investigating him as well?"

"I was thinking that maybe we should get a hold of the next shipment ourselves."

"How would we do that?" You asked.

"Hm." Alhaitham thought to himself for a moment. "The next shipment happens in three days. According to Reza, he was going to meet with that man in three days as well..."

"So in other words... we're going to intercept them somehow?" You folded the piece of paper back into the envelope, waiting for Alhaitham's response.

"Not us." He said. "We need someone else to do it."

"Who?" You asked.

"...Perhaps—"

"Y/N~!"

The door to your office opened, and Kaveh entered holding his suitcase with a wide smile on his face that quickly disappeared when he saw Alhaitham. "Ugh... and you."

"Kaveh!" You cheered as he approached your desk.

"Learning to knock would help." Alhaitham protested, staring at Kaveh.

"Oh hush." Kaveh responded.

"It's fine." You said. "...Kaveh, I have a proposition for you."

"Oh?" Kaveh opened his suitcase, making the green glow from it appear.

"Yep." You smiled. "How would you like to do a job for us?"

Alhaitham looked at you with questioning eyes. "He is not going to be our spy."

"Why not?"

"Spy? Wait, what's going on?" Kaveh asked.

"We basically need you to get some secret shipment for us in three days." You explained. "I'll tell you about the details later on."

Alhaitham shook his head. "We shouldn't involve him in this."

"I'm not going to do something for someone when it involves him. Hmph." Kaveh crossed his arms, glaring at Alhaitham.

"...Then can you do it for me?" You asked, looking at him pleadingly.

"...Of course!" Kaveh smiled. "As long as it doesn't involve fighting or stuff."

Alhaitham scoffed, but didn't say anything.

"Great!" You clapped your hands together. "When we're all home, we can talk more."