Chapter 13

☘️

"Good morning."

You yawned and stretched as you entered the kitchen after waking up. It was fairly early, so you weren't surprised to already see Alhaitham sitting at the counter, reading a book and drinking coffee.

"Morning." You took out some water from the fridge, sitting down next to Alhaitham.

"How did you sleep?" He asked.

"Cold." You said. "I'm probably going to invest in some sort of heater."

"You can borrow my heating blanket if you want." He replied.

You laughed. "What's with the sudden hospitality?"

He looked at you with a questioning face. "...What does that mean?"

"You've been letting me borrow an awful lot from you lately. Towels, your clothes, and now your blankets? The Alhaitham I know would never let someone use his stuff."

"...I mean, it's been three years. A lot has changed." He said. "It's just good to see you again."

You giggled. "Aw, were you worried about me?"

"Of course. When the closest person to you decides to leave and you never hear from them again, it's very worrying."

You were surprised by his statement. "...Closest person?"

He looked at you earnestly. "Yeah. I spent just as much time with you as you did with Kaveh..."

Your cheeks heated. "Well... I just thought that you would never care to have personal relationships..."

He sipped on his coffee. "I did feel that way, but only because I was busy with school. Even now, I don't talk to many people because I'm always blindsided by my work."

You let out a nervous laugh, taking your eyes off him. "And that's why you're the Valedictorian of our class... always focusing on work as if the world doesn't exist."

"...Is that how you see me?" He asked.

You bit your lip. "I mean, I've always looked up to you... no matter how hard I worked on something, you always managed to be a step ahead of me. That's why I address you as my superior to others."

Alhaitham paused for a moment. "Y/N—"

"—I'm back~!"

Kaveh had practically bursted into the house, startling you and Alhaitham. You watched as he heaved a strange box into the kitchen and placed it on the counter.

"What is this?" Alhaitham asked.

"Uh, what you guys asked for?" Kaveh smiled widely.

"But this wasn't supposed to be shipped for another two days..." You said, staring at the box.

Kaveh chuckled. "You won't believe what I went through."

— Hours earlier —

"Ugh, so you really just donated everything?"

Kaveh stood in front of the large door that was guarded by a Matra. He didn't seem strict about his position, but he was still persistent.

"For the thousandth time, yes." The man sighed. "What do you need so badly that you keep going back and forth with me?"

Kaveh groaned, putting a hand on his head. "Okay, here's the deal. Do you know of the new Sage, Y/N L/N?"