Chapter 7

☘️

You sat at your new desk in the Akademiya, twirling a pen around your finger.

Staring at a blank sheet of paper, your thoughts were too occupied to even allow yourself to work. Not only were you somewhat of a Sage, but you would be working with Alhaitham to uncover a mystery that the old Sages had covered up.

You twirled the pen faster, trying to distract yourself. The files that sat next to you still had to be sifted through, so you decided to go ahead and get it over with.

Pulling them over towards you, you looked at the various names of the old Sages. According to Nahida, there was a large 'research' project that the Sages used in case their original plan failed. However, once they were caught, the Grand Sage covered it up. Even though he had been questioned countless times, it seems that even he himself didn't know what this 'project' was.

Sighing, you flipped open the folder to reveal the Grand Sages' records. Naturally, he was outstanding. It's a shame that he let all that talent go to waste.

"Busy?" Kaveh's voice hummed in your ear.

"Yeah..." You said, watching him approach you with a stack of papers.

"I heard that you had this big office to yourself, so I came to check it out." Kaveh placed the papers on your desk and took a look around. "Hm... This chandelier is out of place."

You laughed. "Did you only come here to critique my office?"

"Maybe... But I was also told to drop these documents off as well. I guess since people know we're close, they think I'm sort of assistant to you."

Giggling, you listened to a knock sound at your door. "Come in."

"I'm so special I didn't even have to knock." Kaveh pushed a hand through his hair, making you roll your eyes.

"Y/N—"

Both you and Kaveh looked up to see Alhaitham walking in.

You let out a deep breath.

"And here comes Mister 'Know It All'." Kaveh scoffed, watching Alhaitham approach your desk with a smaller folder in his arms.

"What brings you here?" Kaveh asked.

"Here. I thought this may be more beneficial to you than all these files." Alhaitham handed you the folder, making Kaveh snort.

"Hey! Didn't you hear me?!"

"Thanks." You said, taking the folder from him. "Nahida told you about the task... right?"

"Yes. I've already narrowed my suspects down to three people so far." Alhaitham closed his eyes, clearly ignoring Kaveh.

"Am I just invisible now?!"

"Already?" You asked, opening the folder.

"I was able to experience the recent changes here first hand. It's not hard to suspect a few people here and there." He replied.

"Hey! Will someone listen to me?!"

You let out a nervous laugh. "Per usual, you're always one step ahead of me..."

Alhaitham looked down at you, noticing your disappointment. "...Have you just started?"

"Stop acting like I'm not here!"

"Um... yeah." You replied. "I've just settled in, so everything that's happening is just a little too sudden."

"I understand. There is something I'd like to investigate tonight at Port Ormos." He said.

"What is it?" You asked.

"I know you guys hear me!"

"Just one of my suspects visiting there for a business exchange." Alhaitham crossed his arms. "I plan on eavesdropping during their conversation."

"Alright. Kaveh—"

"—No! I'm not doing anything! You just ignored me!" Kaveh crossed his arms and stuck his nose up, huffing.

You giggled. "I was just going to ask you if you wanted to join us tonight."

Alhaitham's body shifted slightly.

"...Huh?" Kaveh peeked out the corner of his eye. "Why?"

"Because it'll make us less suspicious if all three of us are down there. If Alhaitham and I, who are new Sages, were to just appear in Port Ormos with no business, it'll raise suspicions. Didn't you say your commissioner tends to stay around there?" You explained.

"Oh, yeah... But I actually took on another commission anyways, so I won't be able to join you tonight. Maybe some other time?" Kaveh said.

"No." Alhaitham retorted. "Did you not listen to anything we have said?"

"You weren't even listening to me!" Kaveh shot back.

"Don't worry about it then. You can go by yourself." You looked up at Alhaitham.

"...Are you sure?" He asked.

"Hey! You're doing it again!!!"

"Yeah. I don't want to get in the way of your plan." You said, looking down at the folder.

"...It's fine. Besides, if I just went down there myself, I'd probably just look suspicious all around." He replied.

"Fine! Forget you guys!"

"So what should we do? Disguise ourselves?" You inquired.

"...That's not a bad idea." Alhaitham put a hand to his chin. "But we should go now before all the shops close."

You nodded. "Alright."

You looked at Kaveh, who had finally stormed out of your office. Giggling to yourself, Alhaitham continued to stand in front of you, as if there was something else he wanted to say.

"Um... is there anything else?" You asked, the atmosphere shifting into a sense of awkwardness.

"...No. Sorry." Alhaitham turned around and walked out, leaving you back to your thoughts.

You looked at the folder, seeing a name and picture of the first suspect Alhaitham had handed to you.

"Reza...?"