Chapter 22

☘️

Your head throbbed in pain, causing your eyes to open.

You felt your chest rise as you took a deep breath, your vision coming to.

Blinking, you looked at Alhaitham sitting next to you.

"...She's up!"

Nahida pounced to your side, looking at you with puppy dog eyes.

You blinked once again, your mouth dry and salty.

"...Huh?" You tried to sit up, but you felt Alhaitham push you back down. He had bruises on his knuckles.

"How are you feeling?" Nahida asked.

"...Tired, I guess..." You tried to remember why you were asleep, but failed.

"Does your head hurt?" She placed her hand on your forehead.

"Kinda..." You replied.

"What's the last thing you remember?" Alhaitham asked.

You tried to jog your memory.

The flashing images of Apu woke you up even more.

"...Was I drugged?!" You swallowed, but realized your tongue was numb.

"Yes. Apu... did this." Alhaitham's jaw clenched. "If only I had brought you with us—"

"No. Don't blame yourself." Nahida said. "I told her to go... this is really on me."

"Wait, what happened..." You sat up again, and this time, Alhaitham didn't stop you.

Nahida sighed. "Good news or bad news?"

You rubbed your throat. "...Bad news."

"The bad news is that Apu still is refusing to answer our questions, and we don't have names of everyone involved." She replied.

You exhaled. "To think that I saw him as a close friend..."

"He had been planning this for a long time." Alhaitham started. "From the converted knowledge, all the way to bugging your room... he was behind it all."

"Bugging my room...?" You remembered the strange beep you had heard one night.

"Yes. The Matra searched your room and found multiple devices used for watching someone."

Nahida nodded. "The good news is that it's all over."

You felt tears swelling in your eyes. "I..."

Nahida placed her hand over yours. "Hey, it's okay. You did good, both you and Alhaitham. You've been through a lot, so please rest and take all the time you need to heal."

Her comforting words and praise made you feel better. A tear ran down your cheek, and you closed your eyes.

Alhaitham's hand wiped it away.

"...I'm going to return back to the Akademiya to make sure everything is okay." Nahida said.

Alhaitham nodded and watched her exit your room and out of the house.

His gaze went back to you.

"...Here."

Just like that one moment, Alhaitham placed his headset on you. That same soft melody played, and your cries covered them up.

You felt him bring you towards your chest, slowly rubbing circles around your back.

...

"...That's not how you do it."

After another nap, Kaveh had returned to see you and Alhaitham sitting together on the couch. He found it odd how he had his arm wrapped around you, but if anything, it gave him the closure he needed to this endless love cycle.

Currently, the three of you were playing charades.

"What do you mean 'tHaT's NoT hOw YoU dO iT'?!" Kaveh huffed and got up from his position.

You giggled. "You can't make sounds."

"Says who?!"

"Says the rules." Alhaitham retorted.

Fed up, Kaveh scoffed and looked away from the both of you. "I'm glad that you two are having your happy ending, but that does not mean you can double up on me!"

You laughed, feeling Alhaitham rub your arm.

"The Akademiya has been a mess recently. I can't even check my mailbox in peace!" Kaveh groaned. "Do you know how many times I've been stopped and questioned by students?!"

"More than you can count, I'd guess." You said.

"Exactly!" Kaveh crossed his arms. "And aren't you supposed to be there anyways?"

Alhaitham shook his head. "I'm taking time off."

Kaveh scoffed. "Y/N, whoever this is, he is NOT Alhaitham."

You laughed, looking into Alhaitham's eyes. "...Looks the same to me."

"Oh my gods, I'm totally a third wheeler now..." Kaveh groaned, walking towards his room. "I'm going to bed!"

You watched him exit, leaving you and Alhaitham alone together.

"...So what now?" You asked him, leaning into his body.

"There's still a lot we have to do. We have more unanswered questions, along with more investigations to do..." He replied.

You knew Nahida had only given you the good news to put your mind at ease. But on the other hand, there was still a big gap in your investigation.

"Yeah..." You replied, your head falling softly onto his shoulder.

"Y/N..." Alhaitham grabbed your hand, making you look up at him.

"Yes?" You asked.

"...Let's go to my room."