Book 2 | Chapter 1

"Not even death can take you away from me."

You and Alhaitham enjoyed the simple things in life; nothing too extravagant, nothing too overbearing. The love you had for each other was something unspoken, but understood. It was peaceful, just how the both of you liked it.

Suddenly, just as you were getting used to your new life, people across Sumeru start to disappear without a trace. It falls into your hands once again to indulge on a mystery of finding the culprit. Alhaitham wants you to stay out of it— however, you go behind his back, not daring to let this mystery go unsolved when someone dear to you becomes victim to such heinous actions.

But what happens when your own actions causes you to be faced with a strained choice?

You can save all those innocent lives.

Or you can save Alhaitham.

But you can't do both.

🍀

— Sumeru City, Present Day —

"Y/N. Wake up."

Your eyes slowly and groggily opened to the sound of a familiar, monotone voice hovering over you. Once your vision adjusted properly and you had time to come to terms with reality, you looked up at your partner, who was holding a small mug in his hand.

"You overslept." He said, placing the mug down on the nightstand next to your shared bed. "I don't blame you, though."

You let out a muffled yawn, propping yourself up on your elbow as you closed your eyes and tried to shake off your sleepiness. "Alhaitham... what time is it..."

"Half-past noon." Alhaitham stated, still staring at you. You had learned that he had a habit of watching you whenever you woke up with the blankest and most unreadable expression. In his own words, it was because "he enjoyed watching you".

"Don't I have the day off? It's Saturday..." You mumbled, sitting up fully now. Your back ached from the way you were leaned over your desk from the night before at the Akademiya, since you had been researching a new personal study as of late. You worked at your own pace, but you made it your personal and disciplinary schedule to attend the Akademiya every day of the week, besides Saturdays.

"You do. But I don't want you to sleep all day." Alhaitham grabbed the mug and handed it to you. "Here."

You took it from him, taking a slow sip. He always made it exactly how you liked it, almost better than how you made your own morning coffee. "What have you been doing?"

He kept his gaze on you, his eyes never leaving yours. "Reading. I paid the rent today in full."

You shook your head slowly. "You didn't have to do that. It was my turn."

"You're saving up for all the resources you need for your project. I don't want you burning your money on this place." He sat next to you, still keeping his eyes on your subtle movements.

"Sometimes I wonder how I deserve you." You say lightheartedly, your voice finally coming back after the groggy state left your body.

"It was my idea to move in together. I don't think I could stand another minute with Kaveh bickering me about furniture placement any longer..."