Chapter 10

☘️

"Hey, welcome back! How did it go?"

Kaveh was standing in the kitchen, eating some cookies he had baked. You and Alhaitham had returned, both of you clearly full and tired after your night out.

"...Why did you move the couch over there?" Alhaitham asked, taking off his hat.

"Because I wanted to. I don't need someone who's obsessed with books criticizing my interior design." Kaveh scoffed.

You remained silent as you walked back to your room. Kaveh noticed your uneasiness, and turned his attention to Alhaitham.

"...What did you do?"

"What are you talking about?" Alhaitham crossed his arms.

"Y/N is clearly upset." Kaveh retorted. "Meaning something happened."

Alhaitham's muscles tensed. "Nothing happened."

"Liar." Kaveh narrowed his gaze at him. "You better tell me what happened."

"Why does it matter?" Alhaitham furrowed his brows.

"Because she's my best friend!" Kaveh rose his voice. "Her problems are my problems."

"Since when?" Alhaitham asked.

"Since forever!" He replied.

"...Sure." Alhaitham walked off, hearing Kaveh mumble a foul language under his breath.

He walked into his room, closing and locking the door. He was going to stay back at his office in the Akademiya, but he preferred not to because...

...well, because you were next door.

He knew his actions were rude and deceitful, but if he was being honest with himself, he had wondered what you tasted like for a long time.

You sat on the edge of your bed, staring down at the floor. You tried to fight your mind over countless intrusive thoughts, telling yourself that the kiss you shared was nothing but a coverup to not get caught.

Sighing, you laid down and turned off your lamp. It was already late, and you had to get up early to go to the Akademiya.

You slowly drifted off to sleep, still tasting a slight bit of Alhaitham on your lips.

...

"Rise and shine, sleeping beauty!"

Kaveh's voice woke you up from a rather pleasant dream. You opened your eyes to see him hovering over you, smiling from ear to ear.

"...Wha..." You rubbed your eyes, yawning as you sat up. The warmth of the sunlight made your body tingle.

"You overslept, you know." Kaveh said.

You slowly blinked. "I did...?"

"Yep. I left hours ago and expected you to be long gone. But here you are, sleeping the day away." Kaveh laughed. "You smell like wine."

"Ugh, crap..." You hoisted yourself out of bed, looking outside. "Don't tell me it's already noon..."

"Indeed it is." Kaveh pushed a clean towel into your arms. "So hurry and get down to the Akademiya!"

Following his orders, you quickly took a shower to erase the scent of alcohol that was lingering on you. You put on the new expensive outfit you had recently bought, and brushed your teeth afterwards.

Your mind slowly trickled back to the kiss with Alhaitham. Staring yourself down in the mirror, you brushed your teeth more vigorously, telling yourself that it was nothing you needed to think about.