Chapter 8

☘️

"Hey, help me move this couch over a bit."

Alhaitham had returned back to his place, feeling rather exhausted. He knew being a Sage was a lot of work, which is why he preferred the simplicity of just maintaining his role as a Scribe. It was something he found to be orderly, and it kept him busy enough to still have time to himself.

Looking at Kaveh who was performing his weekly routine of moving the furniture in the living room around, he sighed and crossed his arms.

"Aren't you supposed to be heading out by now?" He asked.

Kaveh looked up. "No. I don't have anything to do."

Alhaitham raised a brow. "You said that you took on another commission."

Kaveh scratched the back of his head, avoiding eye contact. "Ah, well, about that.... he canceled."

"Canceled?" Alhaitham questioned. "Since when do people cancel commissions?"

"Hey, there's no reason for you to be in my business like that!" Kaven scoffed. "Aren't you supposed to be heading out with Y/N?"

"...She isn't back?" Alhaitham looked towards her room, seeing the door cracked open.

"No. I assume she's still in her office trying to handle all the paperwork she's been given." Kaveh responded.

Alhaitham looked back at the couch that Kaveh was moving. "...How long is she staying here?"

Kaveh looked at Alhaitham with a peculiar expression. "...As long as she needs to. Why? Does that bother you?"

"Why would it bother me?" He asked.

Kaveh rolled his eyes. "I don't know, maybe because of the fact that she was literally in love with you and you threw her feelings in the trash?"

Alhaitham's facial expression gave Kaveh a run for the little money he had. "That's not funny."

"Why did you even do that to her?" Kaveh asked. "I thought the two of you were close."

"...Because—"

"Kaveh, someone is outside asking for you."

You had opened the door and walked in, seeing the two men staring at each other. Their gazes turned to you, making Alhaitham look away.

"Huh? Who?" Kaveh walked to the window beside the door, peeking out the blinds.

"I don't know. Some man who's asking about some kind of commission you took." You responded.

"...Crap! I forgot to give him the blueprints to my design..." Kaveh sighed, walking towards the door.

You looked at Alhaitham, who was staring at the couch that seemed out of place.

"Do you want to head out now?" You asked him.

"Yeah. Reza should be heading to Port Ormos soon, so let's go." He said, walking past you.

You got a whiff of his cologne, which was very subtle. Following him, both of you walked out of the house and listened to Kaveh practically argue with the man outside.

☘️

"That'll be 2550 mora."

Now that you and Alhaitham had found your 'disguises', it was time to head off to Port Ormos for the investigation. You were currently paying for your outfit, while Alhaitham asked to change into his and pay for it afterwards.