Prologue

14th February 1990

In a world where love was a scarce commodity, Valentine's Day emerged as a cherished tradition, a day when hearts intertwined with the exchange of heartfelt gifts and gestures, reminding even the most jaded souls of the enduring power of affection.

This is what commoners thought about Valentine's Day, it was a beautiful atmosphere even in India, where only  50 years ago everything was different.

Most of the couples roamed around the city of joy, secretly meeting in coffee shops.

Shubman was here too, he sat down by the table and was patiently waiting for him.

For his friend of years, Ishan.  While everyone celebrates this day with their life partners, Shubman's thoughts go back to when he first met Ishan. How they've come so far, how every moment with him went by. 

He has always craved Ishan's presence since then. Ishan could make anyone feel better, he had that aura.

It was probably a few years ago when they had first met during a net practice.  Ishan and Shubman were qualified to play for the under-19 team.  

Shubman was slouching and sitting on the chair uncomfortably, his gaze was always on the floor. Although his game was outstanding, his confidence had large scopes of improvement. 

Shubman felt like a mere spectator in the game of his own life. His mind was a whirlwind of doubt and uncertainty, as he questioned whether his skills were truly up to par with the rest of the team. The pressure to perform, to prove his worth, was suffocating him.

"Hey there, you're Shubman, right?" Ishan asked, extending his hand in greeting. He said it almost as if he was mocking him. Rishabh was standing next to him as he came forward.

Shubman hesitated for a moment, unsure of how to respond to that confident man. There wasn't a day that he hadn't noticed the latter. Ishan was all he had ever wanted to be.

  "Yeah, that's me," he stuttered throughout the sentence, his voice barely audible.

Ishan's smile didn't waver. "I've heard a lot about your batting skills. They say you've got a mean cover drive. Maybe you could give me some tips?"

Shubman was taken aback. The idea that someone like Ishan, who seemed so effortlessly skilled, would seek advice from him was almost laughable. He mumbled something incoherent, trying to brush off the compliment.

But Ishan persisted, his enthusiasm infectious. "Come on, I've been struggling with my technique lately. I could use some guidance from someone as experienced as you."

Shubman looked up, meeting Ishan's earnest gaze. He saw no hint of judgment or superiority in his eyes, only a genuine eagerness to learn. In that moment, Shubman felt a flicker of confidence stirring within him, as he realized that maybe, just maybe, he had something valuable to offer to the team after all.

Shubman came out of his thoughts from that day as Ishan came inside the cafe and waved at him.

What helped was Shubman chose a really quiet place, where people barely came in. Unlike the busy city, this place was calm and composed, as if the slow waves of the ocean.

"Come on, you still didn't order? I told you not to wait for me stupid" Ishan shouted at him.

"How was your day with Niyati?" Shubman asked brushing the latter's words by mentioning his significant other.

"Her dad was around, I wasn't able to talk to her today. We also have to go to tournaments from tomorrow. I will have to meet her tonight for one last time."

"Accha, You have a girlfriend and here I am lonely. God, I wish I had some girl for me as well."

"Alright then, let me go out with Sara."

"No, why would you?" Shubman replied with his eyes wide. He definitely had a thing going on for the cricket god's daughter, Sara Tendulkar.

They talked for hours about games, girls, cricket, movies and all of their shared interests. until they were kicked out.

Ishan thought of a few beautiful lines that came up 

He loved it that he was here with Shubman,

right now.

His best friend and him, a little world they had formed.

this is what he wanted to preserve, all the little moments with him mattered.

That day was beautiful, along with Ishan spending time with his partner, he also shared a few surreal moments with his best friend.

Life was too good to be real.

Hello there, I just wanted to share a few things with you before I begin. This is my first attempt at writing a proper story, so I am both nervous and excited. Please don't expect an exceptional piece of writing, but I promise to do my best.

 Thank you for taking the time to read my story. Have a pleasant day or night!

~shreyy