Siblings magic

"Shubman! It's been a while. Of course, I'm here for you. What's on your mind?" Shahneel Di's voice from the other side, filled with warmth and concern, instantly made Shubman feel a bit lighter.

"I don't even know where to start, Di," Shubman confesses, his voice wavering due to the unspoken emotions.

"You can start anywhere you want, Shubi. I'm here to listen," Shahneel Di reassures him.

And so, He got the assurance. Shubman poured out his feelings. The pressure of expectations, the anxiety that gripped him, the exhaustion that seemed to seep into every part of his being. He spoke about the struggles he faced, both on and off the field, and the relentless pursuit of perfection that had taken a toll on his mental health.

Mental health, Of course, it was that word. Shahneel sighs sadly. She was a psychology student and knew that mental health was the most important for everyone, especially athletes.

Shahneel Di listened without judgment, offering a compassionate ear to Shubman's defencelessness. She shared words of wisdom and encouragement, emphasizing the importance of acknowledging one's struggles and seeking help.

"Shubi, you're a mere human. It's okay to not be okay. You don't have to think too much about fulfilling other's desires. You're doing what you love."

"But shouldn't our country love me for what I love to do? Why do they judge me for every little thing? I speak less, it's a problem. I speak more, it's a problem. Whatever I do it's a problem."

"Shubi, do you remember the day you had to convince Papa to let you play? If you had thought of other people not liking what you did, you wouldn't be in the team, you wouldn't be able to love what you do. You said you'd rather lose your life than give up on what you love to do." Shubman listens and tries to analyse.

 "Baccha, Did you lose even a single per cent interest in cricket?"Shahneel asks

"No Di, I could never"

Shaneel Di smiles, "Exactly shubman. Cricket is your passion, and it's what makes you who you are. Don't let the external pressures dim the love you have for the game."

"What about my personal life Di, I don't think there's any toxicity around me to affect my position in that way."

"Personal and professional lives are way more interconnected than you imagine them to be. If you're facing pressure or judgment in one aspect, it can spill over into others. Like you're filling in a bottle and it overflows and wets the whole area, It not only ruins the flow of water and the volume, it also ruins the surroundings.  But remember, you have the power to set boundaries and prioritize your well-being. Your health comes first. If you maintain it well, you can definitely perform well, There will be no room for nervousness."

Shubman absorbs the words slowly and significantly. Talking to Di was the best decision he had made in a while.

"Remember shubi, I am not so special and definitely not a god. you've been stupid enough not to take time for yourself. Preaching your useless knowledge when you're suffering will not help." Shahneel said now a little mad. She can't lose her stupid. What was he even thinking?

"It would be inhumane for you to have everything figured out. You're 24 and you have a long" journey of growth, both as a cricketer and a human being. Embrace the process and do not hesitate to seek help. Seeking for help makes you stronger."

"Thanks, Di. I needed this perspective. I'll try to prioritize my mental health."

"Good boy. And, Shubi, promise me that you won't isolate yourself. Lean on your friends, teammates, and family. We're here for you, and there's strength in unity."