Shubman's turn

Today was it, Both Shubman and Ishan decided to talk to Virat Bhai and Rohit Bhai about them, respectively.

After the week of meeting up with families, The selected team had to start practising and Rohit was a busy man observing each one of the team. 

The cricket ground echoed with the sounds of bats hitting the ball, fielders calling out, and the intense focus of players honing their skills.

Shubman and Ishan found a moment amid the practice sessions to approach Rohit and Virat separately. Each had their own set of nervousness and anticipation as they decided to disclose their relationship to the senior players.

"Bhaiya, I um, needed to talk to you about something." Shubman starts talking to Virat sweating continuously.

Virat resumes practising with his bat and turns around, now completely focused on Shubman.

"Ease yourself and tell me. I'm all ears."

"Well, so you know that a man and a man can love each other right? I mean I know society doesn't accept it and considers it as a sin,"

"I have no say in it. I don't think I have ever thought about it so I don't have a personal opinion. But, it's their choice and I don't think anyone should have a say in it. Their life, if they love that person truly, Why not?" Virat answers honestly without being taken aback.

Shubman takes a moment to absorb the conversation and remains still.

"Well, why would you ask?" Virat asks clueless about Ishan and Shubman's love life.

"No, it's just one of my friends. He says that he's in love with his best friend. But, He is insecure about it because well, He thinks it's a wrong thing to do. But, very few people do support him."

"And that friend is..?" Virat uses his hands as a sign to let Shubman continue.

"I don't think you have any friends that I do not know of. Come on, you tell me everything. Just spill it out."

Shubman, taking a deep breath, finally discloses, "It's me, Virat Bhai. I'm the one who's in love with my best friend..."

"Oh, Oh. Wait what?"

"I know you need time to absorb this but I romantically like Ishan. It's not easy for me either but you know bhai, He makes me want to do everything. My world would be just black and white without him, He brings in the colours. I don't think I just like him as a friend anymore. Hell, like. I might be in love with him." Shubman says with dreamy eyes that were filled with hope and life. Love did that.

"You look like a lovesick puppy," 

"You're laughing. No, wait you are laughing about my miserable situation right now."

"Whoa, slow down there, Romeo. I didn't expect this plot twist. But hey, love is like a googly; it takes you by surprise."

"Absolutely, Virat Bhai. The grand revelation is on the cards. I can't keep this epic love story to myself forever. And who knows, Ishan might be my Juliet. And, I might have already told him."

"Wait what? You already told him that you loved him? And, I am getting to come to know of this now, because?"

"It's just, that I was scared that you would not like me anymore. I thought you would be disgusted and I would not be having my favorite person anymore."

"Woah hold on Shubi. You think a lot, and my lord, all of those thoughts are just shit."

"I was scared."

"Yeah, I get it. You were scared and nervous. You keep on repeating that. What now? It's like you don't have any faith in me, It's like I don't mean anything to you. I thought we're like best buds and you could tell me anything off-field too."

"No, NO. That is not what I meant." Shubman tries defending his answer as he goes to Virat and sits in front of him. 

Shubman gives Virat a reassuring hug that the bond remained the same, Nothing could change them. No stupid feelings, No stupid games, No stupid arguments would change what they had for each other.

"Okay kiddo, This feels good but, you still gotta tell me why I would get upset if you are gay?"

"Gay? Isn't homosexual more of the term?"

"Come on, Gay sounds cooler. And also, it's a synonym for happy."

"And, that changes everything because?" Shubman stares deeply at Virat bhaiya and contemplates his life decisions.

"Bhaiya, Your excitement scares me. I expected a very opposite reaction of what I am getting right now."

Virat bursts into laughter, "Shubman, my man, why would I be upset about your love life? Do you think my cricket bat and my emotional support are that conditional? Please, I've seen more drama on the field than in your love story."

Shubman, relieved, grins, "I don't know, Bhaiya. Society can be harsh, and not everyone's as chill as you."

"Yeah and the fact you ever thought that I'd be disgusted with you? Look, I thought we had something, a bond. You're like the little one I have always wanted. In fact, all of you in the team are like my adopted children. I love you all as much as I love Vami."

"I know, I know. That is what scared me. I know you love us, I thought if I was different, You'd not like me anymore. I'd be the weird kid and not Virat bhai's kid anymore."

Listen, Shubi, you'll always be my kid, weird or not. And if anyone has a problem with who you are, they'll have to deal with Virat Bhai's wrath. Got it?"

"And maybe, I love you all because you are weird. That makes you all special and like me and not more like Rohit."

"So, it's not like I am desperate for an answer but, are you really okay about this? I would still not give up on Ishan but it would be better if I had a clear mind." Shubman says as his voice is filled with doubt, love and emotions.

Virat looks at Shubman with a serious expression, "Shubi, look at me. I'm not just saying this to ease your nerves. I'm genuinely okay with it. Your personal life doesn't change how I see you. You're a talented cricketer, a great member of my family, and someone I care about. Your choices in love don't change that."

Shubman, still uncertain, asks, "But what about the others? The team, the fans, and society in general?"

Virat leans in, "Listen, people will always have opinions. Some may be supportive, and some may not. But what matters most is your happiness and being true to yourself. As for the team, we're a family on and off the field. If anyone has an issue with it, they'll have to deal with the captain, and that's certainly not me but I could convince Rohit."

Shubman's face finally starts to show a bit of relief. "Thanks, Bhaiya. I was so scared of everything."

Virat pats Shubman's back, "You won't lose anything. And you're not alone."

"We will fight against the world together because we are there for you. It doesn't take much effort to hate on one, but it takes a lot of effort to try to support something that you don't understand but I am willing to do this for you."

Shubman sobbed in Virat's practice shirt and hid himself inside it. Virat embraced his back and cried back.

"No, but you have got to be very careful."

"Why?"

"Do not do anything that I wouldn't do," Virat said suppressing his sobs slowly.

"Accepted, I'll literally follow your footsteps," Shubman says raising his head and wiping his tears.

"No, Don't do anything I would do too." Virat quickly retorts.

"So, I should just murder myself and call it a genocide?" 

"No baccha, It's just-" Oh, that ruffling shubman's hair, that always feels nice. It's like a warm cup of coffee on a cold winter day.

"Shubi, don't make the same mistakes I did when I was young. I don't want to see myself in a person I want to cherish." These words came straight out of Virat's heart.

He had never been more honest.