Chapter 30: The Severing of the Connection of Father and Son

The rain pounded loudly against the wall-length windows of the Agreste Mansion, the only sound breaking an otherwise heavy silence in Gabriel's atelier. The sky outside was covered in dark clouds, casting a dull gray into the room.

Standing on the podium he used to work, Gabriel stared down at his angered son on the opposite side of the room, noting his snarling lip and clenched fists. Gabriel's expression was, as usually ever, lifeless and uncaring, a judgemental and self-righteous tint to his gaze.

"How could you ask me to do this?" Adrien growled. "I love Marinette!"

Gabriel turned to his tablet, flicking through the pages with disinterest.

"She's damaging to the brand; She's not an appropriate suitor for someone of your caliber." he dismissed.

"Marinette's the best thing that's ever happened to me!" Adrien yelled, "She makes me so happy, happier than I've been in a long time, does that mean nothing to you?"

Gabriel raised an eyebrow in Adrien's direction.

"It's an immature infatuation, Adrien, you'll get over it." he said, "Mrs. Tsurugi and I have reached a pleasing agreement for you and Kagami, you're fond of her, are you not?"

Adrien's jaw dropped in disgust, making a mental note to warn Kagami about this.

"So, you and Kagami's mother have treated us like a business deal?" he accused, "You can't force us to be together, Father, and you can't force me to break up with Marinette!"

"You're my son," Gabriel said, his voice raised, "Therefore, it is within my right to make decisions that I see as best for you."

Adrien took a deep breath, contemplating his next words. Finally, he spoke with words he never thought he'd ever say:

"If you can't accept my love for Marinette, then I can't accept you as my father."

For a moment, Adrien thought he saw a flicker of emotion on his father's face. A suffocating pause followed and Adrien felt like his heart was pounding so hard against his chest his ribs might snap.

Plagg gave him a reassuring pat from inside his pocket, proud of his Chosen for finally sticking up for himself on a big time, and for Marinette. Emilie Agreste's portrait watched on from behind Gabriel, her kind gaze bringing a brief wave of calm over Adrien. Gabriel stared at his son; His face unreadable.

After what felt like hours, Gabriel finally spoke, his tone even.

"Very well then, get out of my house." he said unregrettably.

Adrien swore he felt his heart snap apart, devastated that his father truly cared more for the business than his own son's happiness. Even Nathalie, who'd been watching from the doorway, who was usually and always emotionless and calm, looked shocked.

Taking a shuddering breath, and casting one last look at his mother, Adrien fled the room, Plagg whispering reassuring words to him as he ran.

...

So much for "my place" next time. Adrien mumbled mentally.

And that was the story of just how he'd ended up standing in the front doorway of the Dupain-Cheng's apartment, his hair dripping with water from his walk over, a drenched gym bag with some of his belongings on his shoulder.