chapter 25 (lisa pov)

Lisa's POV

I was sure Appa loved me. Somewhere in his mind, I definitely had a place in it. He just needed to adapt. I can give him space, I can give him time. I can give him everything he needs. As long as I get my appa back.

Everybody has different ways of coping. Appa's is probably a bit more extreme. Maybe he's still getting over the pain of losing Eomma. I understand him. Maybe Appa loved Eomma much more than I did, so he's still sad even though Eomma left years back.

Appa's high expectations of me stemmed from the fact I was his successor. He wanted me successful, to lead a nice comfortable life, so he's putting so much pressure on me. I get that too.

Am I just being delusional?

No father makes his daughter beg for forgiveness. No father hits his daughter with a cane, a whip, hangers, belts, until the pain is so immense they can't even sleep. No father calls their own daughter a whore, a slut, a bitch, a good for nothing, a moron, a retard. No father doesn't care about their daughter's wellbeing or survival whatsoever.

In the end, I have everything but I have nothing at all. At least now I have friends. I have Chaeyoung. But I never ever had any other source of love. After all, Chaeyoung still has her own life, and the days where I'm home alone, eating my dinner alone in the huge house, hearing the lone echos of the television, it makes me feel sad.

It's not that I don't trust Chaeyoung. Something as big and as important as this is something I knew I definitely had to tell the person I loved most in the world.

But what would she do about it?

It's a burden that I don't want the love of my life to carry. I don't want her to see the bruises and scars all over my body. I don't want her to see my pain and go through the pain with me.

If she tried to speak up, go against my father, it would be the end of her. Father hates to be corrected. It doesn't matter if father thinks she's an excellent player or what, his ego wouldn't be able to take a high schooler trying to reprimand him.

Why make two people go through the pain when I can face it alone?