Healing Attempt #1

Word Count: 1,308

Originally Finished: 09/29/2023

Rating: General

Warnings: N/A

Characters: Eda Clawthorne, Gwendolyn Clawthorne

Relationships: Eda Clawthorne & Gwendolyn Clawthorne

Other Tags: Past Violence, Panic Attacks, Self-Hatred, Bad Parenting, Mental Whump, Emotional Whump, Whumptober

Summary: When Eda woke up, she assumed that it had all been some crazy dream. But then she saw healers in the house and her mother was talking about joining a coven. It actually happened. She attacked her dad. And her mom was going to do something about it.

A/N: So this was the first of a few Whumptober prompts I did back in October 2023. This one was: "How many fingers am I holding up?"

Eda's eyes slowly opened. There was a splitting pain in her head. She slowly sat up in bed with a groan.

"Titan, these nightmares have just been getting worse." She muttered.

She heard her door opening and when she turned to look she saw her mother coming in.

Great. Just great.

"Edalyn? You're awake?"

"No, I'm still fast asleep." Eda sighed sarcastically.

"Edalyn, I need to make sure you're okay." Gwendolyn said, walking over to Eda's bed and kneeling next to it.

"Mom, I'm fine. Yeah I had a nightmare but it's no big deal."

"Oh I am so sorry you had to deal with that. Now, how many fingers am I holding up?" Gwendolyn said, holding up three fingers.

"Three. Look, why are you doing this?"

"How many now?"

"One. Mom, please just-"

"And now?"

"None. Can you just-"

"Thank you. Now, do you need anything?"

"No. I'm fine. Okay? Now can you just leave me alone?"

"I just want to make sure that you're okay Witchlet. You've gone through a lot."

"Gone through a lot? What are you talking..." Eda looked up and saw a healer walking past her open door, uniform stained with fresh blood, "about..."

The realization hit Eda like she had been bashed in the head. Her dream wasn't a dream. It actually happened.

Her father was just supposed to go on a trip, and all he wanted was to go out in style. But he brought a fire popper inside and used it. The bright, flashing lights triggered her curse and she attacked her dad. She ruined him.

It made sense, the last thing she remembered was passing out when the curse faded away and she saw how much her dad was bleeding.

Eda began blinking quickly, as if she couldn't even process it. Her breathing began to pick up and she felt her pulse shooting up. Tears were welling up in her eyes. It felt like the walls were closing in on her, which only made her mom being there worse.

How could she have done that? She hurt him so badly.

She looked down at her trembling hands in terror. She could almost feel her dad's blood still on her fingers. Warm and dripping down her arms.