12 // Hope

Congratulations.

The father of my unborn child congratulated me when I announced the news of my pregnancy.

And guess what I did? All the food I'd been enjoying came back up and I threw up, meanwhile baby daddy stormed out of the house.

"Yvonne!" Esra banged on the door. "You have to eat something, you need to garner strength after you..." She trailed off as if searching for the right word.

"Vomited. I vomited, Esra! It's normal for pregnant women, in case you didn't know," I remarked, hugging the pillow tightly against my chest.

"Okay, calm down. I didn't mean to upset you! If you are not going to eat, can you at least let me in?"

I'd locked her out when she ran after me earlier.

I sighed and went to get the door. "I'm not hungry," I grumbled.

She rolled her eyes. "Yvonne, you are always hungry." She walked past me and placed the food on the headboard before sitting on the bed, and then she patted on the empty spot next to her.

I walked over to her and sat in a criss-cross position, and Esra took it upon herself to place the tray on my lap, watching as I devoured the food in silence. I couldn't shake off how cool Silas was towards me earlier.

A part of me understood why he acted that way, he felt used when he found out that I was engaged to be married moments after telling me that he wanted to get to know me better.

"He is just lashing out." I turned to Esra and narrowed my eyes at her in accusation. "I can't read minds, but I know you, and I know you are thinking about Cas," she elaborated. "Look, he was hurt when he found out about your pending nuptials. I think he really liked you."

"He was so cold and brash. I know I don't know him that well, but it still felt like I was dealing with a completely different person."

"I'm not defending him, he was being a prick earlier, but he was in shock. I know Cas, he will come around sooner than you think."

I guess I had to take her word for it, after all, he was her brother and she knew him better than anyone else. That actually made me realise how little I knew about her.

I stared at her, looking for anything that pointed out she wasn't who I thought she was, but there was absolutely nothing extraordinary about Esra. "Are you really a witch?" I asked.

Esra groaned and buried her face in her palms, and came up with an exaggerated sigh. "No! I am not a witch. I'm a sorceress. Read my lips, S-O-R-C-E-R-E-S-S, SORCERESS."

A smirk decorated my face, I finally knew how to piss her off, that was a good start. "Got it."

"There's really nothing out of the ordinary about me, Yvonne. I know I wasn't completely honest with you, but I've never pretended to be someone I was not."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "I know that, but I still know nothing about you, you never talk about yourself, yet you know everything about me."

She frowned. "What do you want to know?"

I shrugged. "I don't know... your real age, your real name... where you come from, your family. Something, anything!" I said, exasperated.

"What do you mean my real age and name? My name really is Esra, and I am 26. Why would you even think... wait, who did you think I was?"

"I don't know, a 500-year-old witch or something."

"For the love of God, I am not a witch!" She screamed my ears off, and I fought the urge to laugh.