27 // Prisoners of Love

I jumped out of the car and raced into the yard as quickly as my feet would allow me to.

There were police officers everywhere and they were turning the entire place upside down.

My heart was beating fast in my chest as my mind raced to Silas, hoping he managed to get away since he was usually asleep around this time if he was not busy in the kitchen, with the latter being less likely since his passion for the kitchen had diminished these last few days.

“Esra!” I called hysterically as I ran into the house, trying to navigate my way through the mess and the people moving all over. “Esra, Esra!”

“Yvonne!” She ran out from the kitchen, panic written all over her face, and then she pulled me aside. “Cas managed to escape, but I forgot to move the blood bags, and now they are taking them. They won’t find anything that links them directly to Cas, but the police will definitely be investigating me, and Room 9 is going to use the blood as evidence.”

I heard everything she was saying, but all that was the least of my concerns. “And Sy? Where is he?”

“Shhh!” She hushed. “Just calm down and try to act normal." Her face twisted in annoyance as she watched the officers going about turning her house into a mess.

We sat on the stairs since they were the only thing they could not move or flip over, and this entire time I kept asking myself if by any chance my father was leading the search. I waited anxiously for them to finish, and by the time they all gathered downstairs, I felt like my heart was going to rip through my throat as my father came down with two separate plastics holding Silas’ toothbrush and one of his hairbrushes.

I turned to Esra in panic. “Esra,” I whispered, feeling the tears burn in my eyes.

I couldn’t even face my father, and he was also content in treating me like a criminal or someone harbouring a criminal.

“Please be advised not to leave the province or country until the conclusion of the investigate,” he had said, his eyes set on Esra.

She gave him a brittle smile. "We have nothing to hide, Captain Ntaba."

"We will see about that." He turned to me, his eyes lingering on me for a second, and then he turned away. "Guys, let's go!"

I thought I would be relieved once they left, but all I wanted to do was cry. I quickly took out my phone with shaky hands and fumbled to turn it on.

"They didn't even clean up!" Esra yelled angrily and stood up, waving her hands in the air.

It felt like someone had knocked the air out of my lungs as everything returned to its rightful position in one swift movement, and then Esra walked upstairs like nothing happened.

As soon as my phone was active and functioning properly again, I was shocked to see so many missed calls and messages from Sy. He had been trying to get hold of me all day!

I quickly dialed his number, anxiously biting my lip as the phone rang. The call went unanswered, and I got the same result when I called again. I sighed, making a mental note to call him again after an hour if he's still not back by then. He was probably still in shock.

I made my way upstairs and went straight to his room, grimacing at the mess they had made. They had taken his klutziness to the next level possible.

I cleaned the room and put everything back in its rightful place, moving on to my room. Strangely, it had not been touched, and I wondered whether my father had ordered them not to search it, or if Esra had fixed it up with her magic.