07 // Two Stripes

Two lines.

I couldn't stop crying and haven't attempted to move from where I was seated on the floor.

Two weeks had passed since the entire ordeal at the resort, and since then, I've never even once thought about it.

It never happened.

That's what I kept telling myself, I pushed it to the back of the closet, never to be opened again.

Esra never brought it up, neither did I. It was all a dream, and I guess I convinced myself that was true.

But Flo had a completely different story.

In case anybody wondered, Flo was an app I used to keep track of my period, and as it was, my period was late by two days.

I don't remember much about that night, but I don't remember finding a used condom the following morning either.

Why didn't it ever occur to me? How could I be so reckless?

My mother was going to kill me.

"I am not pregnant, I am not pregnant, I am not pregnant," I chanted, rocking back and forth.

My phone hasn't stopped ringing since I left Gift at the restaurant without a word. I rushed to the pharmacy and bought a pregnancy test with the last money I had, and took a taxi home.

Thankfully, my mother wasn't home when I arrived.

I've watched enough movies to have an idea of how to use the test kit, but that did not stop me from skimming through the instructions with teary eyes.

After doing the test, I prayed with everything in me for the test to be negative. It had to be. But when has God ever been on my side?

Two stripes. That's what I got, and shook the thing in hopes that one line would disappear, but it's been two hours since I did the test, and it is still the same.

It's a baby. A baby. A human being! What am I going to do with a baby? I could barely hold Angel for more than a minute.

My mother was going to kill me for ruining her plans.

Gift made it clear that we wouldn't be an official couple once married, if he found out there is a baby in the mix, no matter how desperate he is, he will never agree to marry me.

What was I supposed to do? What am I supposed to tell my parents? That I slept with a stranger after I went for a drinking spree?

A whole stranger. For all I know, he could be married or old enough to be my father.

The impact of the front door being closed with force made the house shake, and I sat up in alert.

"Yvonne!" Came my sister's voice. "Yvonne!" I wanted to get up, I wanted to run to the other side of the bed and hide the pregnancy test, but I couldn't move. Second later, Ivy barged into my room. "Yvonne, what is wrong with you? I waited the entire day for you at the bakery and you didn't show up. It was your cake tasting, for goodness sake. I ended up picking all three flavours. You are lucky that your in-laws are paying," she ranted while typing away on her phone, and closed the door with her foot. "What happened to you anyway? Gift was at the bakery looking for you, he said you left the mall in a state-" Her eyes finally landed on me, and she gaped before putting her phone away in shame.

"Ivy!" My body shook as the waterfalls poured, I had no ounce of self-control in me.

My sister walked over to where I was and sat on the floor before pulling me into a hug. "Oh, sis! I'm so sorry." Why was she apologising? It wasn't her fault, I made a complete mess of my life. "Don't cry, please don't cry. Whatever it is, I'm sure we can work it out."