20 // It's A Date!

Perhaps I should have taken Esra up on her offer to patch me up, otherwise, I wouldn't have woken up in the middle of the night feeling like there was something trying to rip through my back at the slightest movement.

Now I regretted going to Silas' room, it would have been easier to wake her up while right next to her. I wanted to go to her room but then remembered that she had bought hot spray after waking up with a stiff neck a few days ago. The only problem, I had to go all the way down to the kitchen.

I had to take care of this before Silas noticed that something is wrong. The last thing I wanted was to cause a rift between the two siblings.

I took my time going to the kitchen, thanks to my back. I felt like an elderly lady with back problems.

Can I tell you a secret? This house is kinda creepy at night. It somehow always felt bigger and a lot emptier, and the silence felt like the calm before the storm. And what made it worse was the fact that they did not turn off the lights downstairs, something I was still trying to get used to since we always had to spare the electricity and water back home.

The only room downstairs with the main lights off was the kitchen, with only the dim light of the hoover illuminating a small section of the room, mainly the fridge and the area around the stove.

I reached for the cupboard above the hoover to retrieve the spray, but the fridge was calling my name. My back could wait, food always comes first.

My mouth salivated before I could even set my eyes on whatever was in the fridge, and the first thing I spotted upon opening the door was a large carton of cranberry juice. My face brightened up in pure joy. It would have probably been better to get a glass, but the juice tasted much better drunk from the carton.

A low growl touched my ears, and I paused and looked down at my belly. "Are we hungry, baby?" I wondered, slightly confused because I wasn't feeling hungry at all. "Oh, well..." I shrugged and brought the juice to my lips, and I heard that growl again, and this time I knew it was definitely not coming from my stomach.

I yelped as the carton flew out of my hand and landed across the floor, its contents splashing on my feet.

I felt a presence behind me and I was afraid to turn around, it reminded me of my first time here, and for a second I wondered if this was round two. I was about to make the run for it when I heard it again and realised that it sounded like someone was in pain.

I slowly turned around, and if it was not for the light pouring from the open fridge, I wouldn't have spotted Silas on the floor beside the wall with his legs sprawled out.

"Sy?" I rushed to the entrance and turned on the main light, and my heart leaped out at the condition he was in. "Oh, My God! Sy, are you okay? What happened to you?" I knelt in front of him quickly, forgetting about my own pain for a second.

His eyes were a dark red, and he looked extremely pale and weak, his lips were white and dry. He was emitting quiet growls while clutching his stomach.

"Sy, talk to me, what's going on?"

I failed to understand what went wrong, I was with him earlier in the day and he was fine, and he also sounded well when I spoke to him on the phone. What changed?

His skin was between ash-gray and blue, and it seemed like he was struggling to breathe through the pain.

He gestured for me to get closer, and I did. "Blood," he forced through clenched teeth. "I need blood."

I met his eyes in shock. Of all things I'd expected, that was the last I ever imagined he would ask, I was starting to think maybe he had been poisoned, but now it made perfect sense. He needed blood, but whose blood was he asking for - mine?