26 // Sirens

Gift had vanished into thin air, and his existence left a heavy cloud of apprehension hanging over us.

I couldn't stop replaying everything he said at that apartment building, and what echoed in my head every say for the past few days were the sangoma's words:

'I see a man here, he is not of this world. At least not in the case where life and death are concerned. He is bitter, angry, and he is evil. He would do anything to protect his kind, even if it means sacrificing his own children. He does not want his children to have a life because he fears that his coven will be exposed, he is not happy that you are a part of his son's life.'

It felt like her premonitions were coming to life, and all I could do was watch my boyfriend suffer in silence.

He had quit his job at the lodge, he seemed to have lost interest in the restaurant, although I believed he was avoiding all these places because of Zamani.

His latest hobby was to pretend to be sleeping whenever someone walked into his room.

I thought getting my phone would be a relief, but turns out Gift had slandered my name on social media as soon as he had his hands on my files, which would explain the stares I was getting at the mall. He claimed that I'd planned to trap him with a pregnancy that was not his and that I only agreed to marry him for his money, and then went ahead to share how I ditched him on our wedding day. He also claimed that he did not know I was pregnant until he ran into me at the hospital months later while picking up a friend.

My recent photos from my phone and my file and baby scan were all over the Internet.

What baffled me the most was that my sister probably knew about this when we met the other day, but she never told me.

While Gift was telling the truth, it was somewhat shocking, it just did not feel like he was responsible for the post.

Gift was someone who cared a lot about his reputation, it did not make sense for him to expose me while risking to turn himself into a laughing stock. Apart from that, the post sounded so thorough and well-detailed, something Gift was not.

As if that was not enough, photos of Silas and I on our date night added fuel to the fire, people were wondering who the unlucky guy was, and as a result, Silas' face ended up all over the internet after someone recognised him and reposted his photo, asking people if that was not Cassilas Yildiz.

Esra blamed everything on me, she claimed that things were perfect before I came into their lives, and that her brother was safe from the world before he met me.

The saddest thing about this was that it felt as though he also believed it, I felt like I was losing him, and at this point there was nothing I could do. He did not look at me the way he used to, his eyes were dull, and that red colour had made itself home once more.

Weeks passed, and we spent every second looking out for the news about any serial murders, but there were none. However, there seemed to be a rise in the number of missing persons cases, which was strange. The detective's silence was not reassuring either, it felt like there was this huge bomb waiting to explode.

The baby was growing so fast, I wished I could put the pregnancy on hold for a few more weeks, but I was almost at six months, and my second ultrasound was coming up, meaning we would soon learn the baby's gender.

The baby moved and kicked a lot, and it hurt me that Silas wasn't bonding with the baby anymore like he used to, so I couldn't share such moments with him.

It wasn't until a few days later when my biggest fear came to life. It was at dawn when I received a call from my sister and she told me that she had told our father about my visit to the sangoma.