23 // Date Night

When you decide to visit a sangoma, in most cases, prepare yourself to come back with more questions that answers. I heard everything she said even though my mind was a bit jumbled up, but the biggest question right now remained - what did Silas' family have anything to do with my family?

It did not make sense, from the moment I met both Silas and Esra, it was clear that we were from two different worlds. The possibility of there being bad blood between our families seemed far-fetched.

I didn't even know what to ask, what if I asked Esra and my father, and it backfired and caused more problems?

The only thing I wanted was to enjoy my pregnancy and relationship with Silas, and now I just learnt that the entire universe was against us.

The phone died before I could request an Uber, and my sister did not wait to see whether I'd requested a ride or not, she took a taxi back home while I was forced to take a taxi to town. Taxis to our suburb were quite scarce, and the ones that passed through our neighbourhood usually refused to stop, so not only did I have to beg the driver, but I also had to pay extra even though it was on his way.

I climbed off five minutes from home and took a walk, I really needed it. For the first time since I got here, I stood outside the gate and took a good look at the house, and, it felt as though I did not belong, like it was wrong for me to be here.

The first since I did as soon as I got inside was to run to Silas' room, and I was relieved when I found him sleeping peacefully. I plugged his phone to the charger, and carefully sat beside him, resisting the urge to run my fingers through his loose afro.

I'd never met anyone who was a perfectionist in most aspects of his life, and also be so perfect himself. I could point out all his faults, and still see nothing wrong with him, because to me he was the definition of perfection, and I felt like the luckiest girl to be chosen by him.

I smiled and shook my head when he kicked off the sheet and ended up tangled in them, this was the worst part about sharing a bed with him, he was constantly flipping and kicking off the blankets, and I had to suffer through the cold.

It was futile covering him up, but I did it anyway. A hand shot up from under the sheets and gripped mine in a gentle hold just as I was about to walk away.

For a second I thought he was dreaming as he dropped his hand, but his eyes fluttered without opening.

"Yvonne..." He called lazily, if I was not standing so close, I would never have heard it. "Would you like to go out with me tonight?"

My eyes widened. "That depends, are you dreaming right now?" I blurted.

He laughed lowly, the action seemingly taking more effort than it should, his laughter turned to a cough, and he groaned. "Gosh! I am so tired, I don't even have the energy to open my eyes."

"Are you sure you are not falling ill or something? Your sleeping patterns and energy levels these days are concerning."

His eyes shot open. "Are you saying I haven't been performing well in bed?" He asked, looking horrified.

I didn't mean to laugh, but it couldn't be helped, you'd swear he would die if I said yes. I rolled my eyes at him. "Relax. All I'm saying is that you seem more exhausted with each day, I'm worried about you."

"I'm fine. I'm sure it's just my body struggling to adjust to my messed up routine."

"Yeah, that could be it. Let me leave you to rest, you need it."

"But you still haven't given me an answer." I stared at him, dumbfounded. "Our date," he clarified.

"Oh! Of course, I will go out with you."