CHAPTER SIXTEEN

We did, in fact, have fun.

Yemi had gone to the DJ and asked him to play upbeat music so we could dance, but not after eating as much food as I could stuff into my dress. I had never laughed so hard as I did last night, mostly because he wouldn't stop making silly jokes that weren't funny, but the fact that he tried to sound funny was funny. His parents even joined us on the dance floor, and we then had a competition, which his parents won because I could not dance to save my life. 

We talked and got to know each other more, and I found out that as much as he loves to sing, he also watches basketball, and his favorite thing to do is work. No surprises there. He dropped me off at 9:34 p.m. last night after getting some things for Grace and Praise, despite my argument that he didn't need to.

I yawned and stretched my body as I entered the bathroom to brush my teeth and have my bath. It was a Saturday, and I thought I'd rest today and have a little bonding time with Grace, who was, by the way, still sleeping. Praise, on the other hand, said she was going to dance class to prepare for their upcoming "Afro our culture" dance concert, so she left early. I still didn't know what I was going to do throughout today, but the idea of going to the shop didn't sit well with me today.

Stepping out of the shower, I walked to the wardrobe to wear something comfortable, and seeing as the heat wasn't helping at all, I settled for a knicker and a light V-neck top. My stomach grumbled, indicating that it was already late enough for me to eat. I checked the time to see that it was past ten and my daughter was still sprawled on the bed. I gingerly went towards her and tapped her lightly.

"Grace, wake up; let's go out," I said, so she could wake up and not go back to sleep. She shifted on the bed and turned to her other side, as though I were disturbing her. I tapped her again, this time ordering her to stand up. I get that it being a Saturday but she has slept enough already. Grace grumbled and opened her eyes with a frown.

"Mummy, leave me alone, na, I'm not going anywhere," she complained, trashing her little legs in defiance.

"Should I just leave you at home? Aunty Praise has gone out, so you will be the only one at home." She sprung out of bed upon hearing my words and continued to complain about it being a Saturday and that it was the only time she had to rest. I chuckled at her behavior and ordered her to go brush her teeth and have her bath, which she grudgingly did.

I moved to the wardrobe to pick out her clothes, which comprised a knicker and a small round-neck top. Grace wasn't a small girl; on the contrary, she was bigger than her age and had a little more body, which almost made her look fat. She came out of the bathroom after a few minutes and put on her clothes.

"Mummy, where are we going?" she asked while wearing her top, and I shifted to help her bring it down her shoulders.

"We are going to buy ingredients for Ogbono and Eba," she immediately grinned at my words.

"Can we buy meat instead of chicken?" she asked with a smile on her face, making me chuckle and nod. She squealed and ran to wear her sandals. I shook my head at her and followed her steps to wear my own sandals. We were greeted by a familiar face once we left the room.

"Dara, so you still dey this hostel? E don tey wey I see you last," (Dara, so you still stay in this hostel? It's been a while since I saw you.)

Tunde, a student like me in his third year of mechanical engineering, said this, looking at me with a smile on his face.

"Uncle Tunde Good morning," Grace interrupted, making the guy in front of us scrunch down so he could be at eye level with her.

"Baby girl, good morning. How are you?" He held out a hand, which she took in a handshake.

I never interacted much with the people in the hostel, mostly because I was always busy and the guys made me uncomfortable. The only reason I was still here watching his interaction with Grace was that he attended the same church I did, and so we met and greeted each other ever so often.

"I'm always busy, Jare; that's why. How are you doing?" I asked in an attempt to make myself not feel uncomfortable. I wanted to try to be more accommodating to the male species.

"I'm fine, but school has been so stressful, eh? Is Praise around? Did she tell you about the hostel party we were going to have?" I scrunched my face in confusion as to what he was saying.

"Praise is not around, and she didn't tell me about any party," I answered in my confusion, and he nodded.

"Well, we are having a small hostel party for Kola's birthday. He decided to have a party here," he explained. Kola was like the rich guy in the hostel; he was always a snob but tried to be nice sometimes when he needed something. I immediately knew I wasn't going to attend this so-called party.

"Oh, okay, na. When is the party?" I asked so I could be prepared to not be available.

"It's next Saturday." I just nodded and smiled a little, knowing that I would very much be in the shop all through.

"Okay na. Praise should be back in the evening, sha," I said, to end the conversation. He nodded, and we said our goodbyes, only for me to feel a bit exhausted. Gosh, that conversation was long.