CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Adeyemi's POV

"I want you to get it done by the end of the week; do you understand me?" I asked over the phone. I have been in and out of meetings all day because we just landed three more contracts, which meant I was up for more than one night.

"Yes, sir. Any special reason why you're doing this? I know you, man; you don't do anything without a reason and now you're asking me to look into a family in Kastina State, all the way over there? What is going on, man?" My best friend, Olutayo, asked. He owns the most reputable security company in Nigeria, as well as a special private investigation service. I sighed, knowing he knew me well enough to ask these questions.

"I do have my reasons, Tayo but I don't know if it is convenient to tell you more than I already did. I am furious, Tayo, furious that the demons that torment Dara are one too many and I don't know how to help her or stop it and it infuriates me." I banged my hand on the table as I spoke.

I had never been so angry like this in my life, except when someone almost harassed my mom. I had reigned in my expressions when Dara told me about her past. I never expected her to open up to me, but God already told me she would and that I should hold on to myself so as not to explode, and I did truly feel like exploding.

I felt every knife slice through my heart as she told me most of the things that happened to her, and all I wanted to do was find the person who did those nasty things to her and kill him if he was not already dead. Sharp, I know, but I would do anything to reassure Dara that she was not alone. I was so reluctant to leave her when I dropped her and Grace home, but she kept saying she was fine. It'd been three weeks already, and I was still so angry.

Damn, I sound so sappy right now.

"Did you hear what I just said?" The voice on the phone asked, making me forget there was even someone there before.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" I placed my hand on my temple and began to massage the fury away.

"I said you do not have to tell me the details but I just want to know, why do you care so much?" The big question is one I have been asking myself since I met her.

"I don't know Tayo, it's not something I can explain, it's like a pull to protect this woman, you know. God keeps telling me that I will find out on my own and to focus on the important things but I am just so confused as well." I explained the best I could because I truly didn't understand. I have never felt this way before.

"Alright, man, I trust you'll get some clarity soon; just try to be open-minded, okay?" I nodded at his words, even though he couldn't see me.

"Yeah, thanks, man." I hung up and placed my hands on my temples to massage the stress away but it wasn't working.

Sighing, I closed my laptop and checked the time to see that it was past 5 p.m., suddenly remembering that I had a family dinner to attend. My sister just got placement for her industrial training, which is a whole semester dedicated to working for a company to put your years in school to use. My sister happened to be studying food science and technology at the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, because, according to her, it was far enough from our home here in Lagos. The sound of my phone ringing brought me out of my reverie.

"Adeyemi, se o wa le mo ni?" my mum's voice sounded as I picked up the call. I just wanted to go to sleep but a mother's word is like a command. (Adeyemi, are you not coming anymore?)

"I'm just leaving work, ma; I'm on my way. Is Lola around?" I asked while stepping out of my office. I give a short, curt nod to my assistant before walking to the elevator.