CHAPTER TWENTY

"Please, can we get a doctor for my daughter?" I asked frantically as I rushed to the reception area of the hospital. The nurse in the seat looked at me, and I was certain she saw my urgency and the unconscious girl in my arms because she rushed me into a room that had a bed and an IV stand.

"Do you have a card for her here?" I shook my head, telling her no. I had never come to this hospital before because I usually just take her to the one inside our school for small cases.

"I'll handle everything about the cards and drugs; please just get her to a doctor." Yemi pleaded with the woman as he came to stand by my side.

"Okay, what is wrong with her?" the nurse asked, trying to get a document from her shelf.

"Erm, she was running a relay race when someone from another lane hit her and twisted her ankle. She fell on the hard concrete ground and injured her head and arm, but she had an absence seizure when she was four, but I was certain it stopped when she was five, but it started again today, all of a sudden." I said it quickly as the woman wrote it down.

"Okay, ma, I'll be back with a doctor," she said, leaving us and running to a corner where I assumed the doctors were.

"Shh, baby. The doctor is coming, so just hold on, okay?" I whispered to the unconscious girl, who was everything to me.

My heart broke at the sight of her injured head. There was a small gash on it that had dried blood. I pulled her closer into a small, light hug, careful not to injure her further.

"Don't worry, baby, the doctor is coming," Yemi said as he reached my side. He showed me a card I assumed was the one they wanted us to get, and it had Grace's name on it.

"Good afternoon, ma. I'm the doctor; can you tell me what's wrong with her?" My head snapped at a man in his thirties, maybe. He was putting on a long white lab coat and had a stethoscope on his neck. I explained everything again to the man, who just nodded and looked at my daughter, who was already gaining consciousness. I rushed to her side.

"Grace, can you hear me, baby?" I asked quickly, as my hands didn't stay in one place but kept roaming her body. She just stared at me in confusion before wincing and grabbing her head.

"Okay, Grace, I need you to sit upright so I can take a look at your body," he said, and she reluctantly sat upright, wincing at every contact her leg made with the bed.

The man bent down so he was at eye level with her and brought out a pen from his front pocket. Pressing the back of the pen, a light came on, and he flashed it into her eyes.

"Now, Grace, let your eyes follow the light," he said before moving the pen side to side, and I saw that Grace was making small mistakes by not following the light. He switched off the light and put his hand on the side of her head that had the gnash that made Grace flinch.

"Can't you see it's hurting her?" I knew my voice was a little harsh, but I couldn't stand seeing my daughter in so much pain. Yemi held the sides of my arms, trying to comfort me.

"The wound is not too deep to affect her brain; however, her flesh has been torn, giving her a very mild concussion because of her age. So, we will have to stitch it so we can close the wound, and we'll also have to clean it and give her some painkillers. For her ankle, we'll have to put it back in place since there was a bit of dislocation. Don't worry, she'll be under anesthetics so she won't feel the pain, and as for her hand, the wound is just a scratch, so we'll just clean the wound and disinfect it." I whimpered at all the things she was going to endure.

"Don't worry, Dara, she won't feel the pain," Yemi whispered, making me nod.

"Mummy, I don't want an injection," Grace cried out, making me hold onto her tighter.

"Don't worry, baby girl. Mummy is here; it won't hurt you, I promise." My voice cracked a little as I held her in my arms. I nodded at the doctor, and he gave instructions to the nurse to bring the materials.

"Let's take her to a better room since she'll need an IV bag," he said, and he brought out a bed that had wheels on it and tried to place Grace on it, but she wasn't having it. She wouldn't lie down.

"Grace, can I carry you?" Yemi asked, and getting a nod from her, he scooped her in his arms, whispering in her ears and cleaning her tears.

We soon got to a much better room upstairs, where Yemi set her down on the bed, and soon enough the nurse brought everything the doctor needed.

"Grace, you need to lie down so they can stop the pain, okay? I promised to buy you your shawarma and ice cream, right?" She nodded with tears in her eyes and lay down, obeying Yemi's sweet talk.

"Close your eyes, baby, mummy is here," she obeyed while I held her, and the doctor quickly gave her the injection for anesthetics. She soon fell asleep, and the doctor and nurses sprang into action, telling Yemi and me to step outside.

"I'm not leaving her. You can work with me here," I said in a stern voice.

"C'mon, Dara, let them do their work; we'll just be by her door outside," Yemi whispered, gently pulling me outside.

I immediately sank into the seat by the door. I could feel Yemi's hand rubbing my back. I was never careless with Grace, especially since I didn't always have money for any hospital bills or drugs. The only things I did in a hospital for her were immunizations and some drugs when she was growing her teeth.

"Nothing is going to happen to her, Dara; you heard the doctor; it's a minor injury." Yemi's voice brought me a little comfort, but I was still on edge.

"She has never been in this much pain since she grew her teeth, I know because I was always careful with her. I just can't stand anything happening to her; she's so small and fragile, and she's the only thing I have in this life." My voice broke as I placed my head in my hands.

"She will be just fine. She has a wonderful mother who takes care of her, but she can disappear anytime soon. You need to let go of your fears, Dara; they are pushing you down. Clear your mind off the negativity and try to be calm." He said it softly.

...........