CHAPTER NINE

It is for freedom,

I have been freed...

But with wisdom,

I have lived.

Oluwatoyosi

Flashback....

"Dara, iron this cloth now" My boss, Mrs. Akpan, said putting an Ankara gown on the ironing table on top of the pile of dresses I still needed to iron.

"Yes, ma'am" I answered in a tired voice and looked at the pile of dresses on the table and immediately felt like crying. I was going to leave the shop so late again today.

"Well, it's not that bad, it's not like I'm dying to go home. Just get this done Dara and you'll be so tired to notice how your life is" I muttered under my breath before picking up that was set down.

I started working as an apprentice in this fashion house a year ago and I was seriously hoping I don't faint. I was so glad the pastor and his wife agreed to take care of Grace while I work. I don't have any friends as most of them here are males and about three females, and even they don't like to interact with me because I don't have anything to say and all they do is gossip. I have been living my life barely but the church had sponsored my training in this place.

"Hey, can you help me put buttons on this shirt" Hannah, another apprentice like me, places a shirt dress on the table and left without waiting for my response?

I sighed and looked at her, I didn't like confrontations and I liked doing things invisibly but I don't like it when people think they can walk all over me, I had learned when I was working as an assistant teacher that being silent doesn't mean you can't fight for yourself, it just means, you have enough compassion to not let the fight turn into hatred besides the bible said to do all things with wisdom.

"Lord, fight for me right now, I'm so exhausted" I muttered before taking the shirt dress and placing it in front of her.

"I will do it when I'm done with all my work and that can be tomorrow, is that okay?" I asked with a genuine tired smile knowing that she didn't have any work to do anymore and just wanted to get me angry but that won't work.

"Oh, you are busy. Don't worry, I'll do it" She replied seeing that our boss passed by. I smiled inwardly at that and went back to ironing.

I finally finished up with my work at past 9 pm and quickly arranged everything before locking up the shop since everyone had left since 6 pm. I called the pastor and asked him if it was okay for Grace to stay the night with them and he agreed. Sighing, I started walking to the church where I lived. The pastor and his family had decided that since I had nowhere to go, I could stay in the attic room upstairs where everyone thinks it was bad. I kept thanking them and repaying them by always cleaning the church. I would leave Grace with them during the day and take her when I'm done with work.

I walked carefully on the almost deserted road, it was so late and in this part of Lagos, people don't stay out late as there are no shops near here. Getting home, I removed my shoes and went to the corner where I always used to cook to make noodles. After eating I collapsed on the bed and dozed off only to be awakened by the sound of my door opening. I panicked and moved backward careful not to make a sound but it didn't work as the person busted in.

"It was..aasn't easy to fo..ollow yo..u ho..me." The voice of the man, who constantly tried to touch me met my ears and I could feel the panic in me rise. He sounded drunk.

"If only you had given to my advances, none of this would have happened" I whimpered as he walked so fast in a slurry movement to grab my hand. I squirmed and tried to shout only for my mouth to be covered with a large hand.