CHAPTER NINETEEN

"Mummy, have you packed my gown? Where are my socks?" I groaned at all these preparations I was making, and Grace's shouting every time wasn't helping my headache.

"Grace, come here! I have packed everything for you, and your socks are on the chair." I ordered the nine-year-old to come to me with her sportswear disorganized on her body.

I chuckled tiredly as I adjusted her uniform before setting her shoes on. I stood up from the chair I sat in and adjusted my clothes, which consisted of a white top and ash-colored joggers. I put on my black sneakers before setting my bag on the table.

Today was Grace's inter-house sport, and despite the fact I had one class today, it wouldn't hurt to miss it this one time for my daughter. Praise was also preparing to go to school, so I could just get the notes from her. I sent the address and time to Adeyemi last night, and I kind of hoped he wouldn't bail, but I would definitely understand if he did; he did have a business to run.

We finished getting ready; the time was already 8:25 a.m., and the time for the program to start was nine a.m. We quickly packed our bags and were about to set out when we heard a knock.

"Who is it?" I asked with a ragged breath as I hurried to set Grace's food in her lunch box.

"It's Yemi," Praise said, and we froze and looked at each other. I didn't think he would come this morning, especially to my hostel.

"Good morning. I thought you wouldn't come until later," I said as I opened the door, and his face curled into a smile.

"Yeah, I thought it would be better if we went together from here." I smiled as he scratched his neck.

"I'm not complaining, but what about your work?" I didn't want him to skip work because of me or my daughter.

"I kind of finished everything I had for today last night, so I would be here early," he confessed sheepishly while I looked at him with wide eyes.

"You didn't have to. Did you get enough rest? Are you sure you don't need more hours of sleep because..." My rambling was cut short by Praise shouting to be quiet.

"You are not disturbing me if that's what you mean, and yes, I did get enough rest. Now, let's go, so I can also drop praise off at school." As soon as he said this, Praise yelled.

"Yes, please. You even sound like my dad; I'll go wait by the car." She scrambled out of the room with her bag.

"See, no one is complaining. Now, let's go." His voice softened, making me sigh and nod.

"Grace, stand up, and let's go," I ordered the girl who was carrying her bag from the table.

"Good morning, sir," Grace said, bending her knees to show she was greeting him.

"Good morning, baby girl. C'mon, I'll take you to school today," he said with a smile while my daughter looked at me in question.

"Let's go; he's taking us in his A/C car," I whispered in her ears, making her smile widely and rush outside. Yemi chuckled and waited for me to lock the room.

We walked out the gate, entered his beautiful car, and drove off. We made small talk while driving, with Yemi asking Praise how school was treating her and Grace what sport she was going to play today.

Dropping praise off at our college, we proceeded to Grace's school. Once we got there, I could already see the stares we got as we came down. I still got those stares from mothers I had met at the parent-teacher association who said I was too young to be a mother of a nine-year-old, but I shrugged it off.

"Good morning, ma. Good morning, sir. Grace, how are you?" It was Grace's teacher, Mrs. Owen, who spoke with a small smile on her face.

"Good morning, ma," I answered while giving her Grace's lunch bag. She guided us to the canopy, where parents and guardians sat, while Grace went to join her classmates in her clubhouse. She was in the blue house, hence why her sportswear and gown were blue.