CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

"Grace's real name was Ai'sha. I had it changed when I changed my name as well. I got married at the age of thirteen because that's what my mom and dad said was my role in the house. I married a man named Shekau. He was almost sixty years old, but he was known for his notorious ways of marrying small girls and discarding them if they didn't give him any male children. He would sell the girls when they were off-age to any potential buyer because he was an influential man." I almost let out a sob, but I didn't want to cry as I remembered these things.

"It's better to let it out, Dara; you do not need to tell me, but it's always good to let out the bad energy and thoughts that drag you down. God said, "He will never leave you nor forsake you." He said, "His grace is sufficient for you, and his strength is made perfect in your weakness. So, you letting those words out means you're taking advantage of the strength in you." I nodded frantically and looked at my hands to keep the tears at bay.

"He consummated the marriage that night, not caring whether I was in pain or not. I couldn't escape; I tried hard, but he held me down. I got pregnant soon after that and gave birth to Grace. I was so weak but happy to see a little girl in my hands. I was also terrified because I heard Shekau was furious that I had a female child, and so he commanded everyone to leave me alone and not attend to me. He pushed the midwives out of the room before they could remove the placenta, and he locked me in the room with no food or water. I had to push out the placenta, cut the cord myself, and wash my bloodied baby. He locked me up for two whole days with no food or water. I was still so small, so I didn't know what to do except keep the baby alive. Ever since that time, I was always beaten, raped, and tossed around like a rag doll. My parents never came to visit, so I was always locked inside my room for three days, and I was allowed out every once in a while." I was full-on crying now. I have no idea why I just blurted out everything to a man I have known for more than a few months, but this guy has broken all the defenses I had, and I knew God allowed him to. I knew he was going to be so disgusted by me. I prepared myself for it, but it never came. Instead, warm arms wrapped around me as I cried into his chest.

"You are strong because you are weak, Dara. You went through all that and survived because God loves you and knows you will do great things. Strengthen your faith in him, Dara, and let him open the doors that were closed to you. I'm sure he has punished all those who inflicted pain on you because God fights for his children. You are not alone anymore, okay? You have grace and praise, and you have me." I listened to his words deeply and felt relieved. He removed me from the embrace and cleaned my tears while looking me in the eye.

"Now, clean your tears and be strong for your daughter. No one has the right to judge you, and your nightmares have no right to torture you. Do you understand me?" I nodded because of the firmness with which he spoke, and soon he smiled, making me smile as well.

I was going to be okay.

It might take time, but I was going to be just fine.

"We are done. She is sleeping now, so when she wakes up, she might be in a bit of pain, but it is normal, so we'll just prescribe some drugs for her that you can pick up at the pharmacy." The doctor said this as he came out of the room. Nodding at his words, he handed me a paper with drug prescriptions on it.

"Thank you so much, sir," I say with gratitude, making him smile and nod before leaving. Yemi and I entered the room to see Grace sleeping soundly. I pressed a little kiss on her forehead and held her hand

"C'mon, let's go get the drugs so when she wakes up, we can just take her home." I nodded at his words and we left the room to the pharmacy.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience I caused you, Yemi. I..." I was cut short with his stern eye on me.

"What did I say this morning? You are not disturbing me, Dara. I love Grace, and I like spending time with you, so why would you be sorry? I never want to hear that again, alright?" I pouted but nodded nonetheless. I was a little happy he was here; I wouldn't have been able to get to the hospital on time or have had enough fun at the program alone. Alright, I was very happy.

"I like your company too," I blurted out before I knew it, and with wide eyes, I speed-walked to the pharmacy, leaving him there. I heard his chuckle as he walked towards me and placed his hands over my shoulders, making me smile in embarrassment.

"Aaawn, I got complimented," he teased, making me smack his arm playfully. We joked and teased ourselves as we got the drugs

My fears were fading, one by one.

Authors note

Oh wow, Sheesh. Talk about a mental breakdown.

Dara has been through so much, and I know many people have been in her shoes at one time or another. Maybe it was molestation, or rape, or abuse, or starvation. God says he is with you, and he will strengthen you. All you have to do is believe.

It may not sound like much; you may not feel it or see the circumstances change immediately, but he is there, making ways where there are no ways, setting right from wrong even when you can't see it, and putting people in place so they can help you.

God is never not doing anything.

We just have to place our faith in him. Yes, it might be difficult; trust me, I know, but it is so worth it, guys.

This book is an inspiration from my maker for someone who is in pain or afraid.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9