CHAPTER TEN

I sighed as I stared at the black gate in front of me. This place held a lot of memories for me and it was also where I found my clarity, where I made a big decision eight years ago.

The church gate still looked the same except for the rust around the edges. I hadn't been here for almost a year, so with another sigh, I entered, and my feet carried me in the direction of the office I knew so well. Giving the door a light knock, I hear a 'come in'.

"Good morning, sir" a smile took over my face as I looked over at the fifty-something-year-old man, I considered my father. He looked up from his laptop and froze.

"Darasimi?" my name came out as a shock from his mouth like he couldn't believe I was here. 

I walked closer to the man and took a good look at him; he had aged a bit, with a rounder stomach, a trimmed beard, and darker eyelids. I quickly went on my knees to greet him again, as his Yoruba training still had its effects on me.

"Ekaaro sir, eku ojo meta," I said in a Yoruba accent, although I was Hausa by birth, I quickly adapted to the Yoruba lifestyle since I've lived in Lagos for the past eight years. {Good morning, sir, it's been a while}

"Omo mi, di de, di de, haha, how are you? You didn't tell me you were coming now; I would have told mummy Oyin to prepare for you" he said gesturing for me to get up as a smile lit up his face.

 Pastor Ayobami was the man that took me in when I came in these doors all those years ago. At first, I felt so scared of his presence but when he introduced me to his wife, Mrs. Adeoye, and his children, the way they cared for me and helped me changed my fear into safety. His children, Fikayo and Oyindamola took me as their sister, even though we didn't live together, they made an effort to always include me.

"I'm fine sir and I'm sorry I didn't tell you before coming, I made the decision this morning" I had a set goal for coming here this morning, asides from the fact that I had missed them terribly, I needed fatherly advice.

"You don't have to apologize; you know you are always welcome home anytime. Why not freshen up in your room first and I'll order food for us so we can talk? I made sure to keep your room neatly all the times you weren't around or should we just go home, so mummy Oyin can cook for us? And how is my baby girl? You didn't bring her?" his worried tone made me nostalgic but I couldn't wait long else I would have loved to get that home-cooked meal.

"You don't have to bother sir, I missed all of you o, but I have to be in school tomorrow to get ready for my presentation. I just knew that I couldn't discuss what we'll talk about over the phone, that's why I came here. Grace is very fine; she went to school that's why I didn't bring her. She's nine almost ten and in primary four about to write common entrance" He nodded in understanding before smiling.

"Wow, she's writing common entrance? I always knew she was very brilliant. I'm sure you've done a great job raising her my dear. Eh, that's not a problem. Let me order the food, and quickly finish what I was doing while you rest. I'll call you once I'm done" he reasoned and I nodded in agreement before standing up to go to my room.

Finding my way to the stairs that led to the supposed room I lived in for years wasn't hard, I knew this place like the back of my hand. Sighing a little, I opened the door to the room and was immediately hit with a memory.

"My name is Mohammad Semiat, I'm fifteen years old. I ran away from the house because they wanted to take my daughter away from me" My voice was hit with a sob as I recalled how the relatives of my late husband tried to take Miriam away.

"Take your time my dear" Mrs. Adeoye said while rubbing my back and I tried to control my tears.

"My husband had an accident, so everyone thought it was my fault, they said I poisoned him but he was in an accident. So, his relatives and other wives wanted to punish me by taking Miriam away and sending me out of the house. They beat me so much with different things so I went inside his room and took the remaining money he hid under his bed and ran away. I don't know if he's even alive or not" I was shut up by my tears as I looked at the baby in my hands.