supermarket run-in

OCTOBER 2023

AT THE SUPERMARKET

MONDAY AFTERNOON

Shotta's POV con't

Pulling into the supermarket's parking lot, I parked the car and sank back into my seat before closing my eyes.

"You not coming in with me?" Yaya asked, and I could feel her staring at me

" Why do I need to come inside with you?" I replied, eyes still closed

"Because I don't want to go inside by myself," she said with a sigh

Aeyana has terrible social anxiety, so she hates going in public by herself. It has gotten better over the years since she has been going to therapy, but she still has her moments.

"Ahh, come on," I said, turning on the car, opening the door, and stepping out.

When we got inside, we grabbed two shopping carts and started going down the isles one by one, picking up the things she needed to cook, plus other things to have in the house.

I might as well do the shopping once and get it done while she's here because God knows I wasn't going to do it alone. It would have to wait until Mum comes back from her trip.

When I got to the end of the aisle, I realized Aeyana wasn't behind me anymore, and I could hear her talking to someone in the next aisle.

She was scared to come here alone, but now she can chat with people.

* no that yuh send her to therapy for? So she can feel comfortable talking to people in public*

Yeah, but she needs to do that on her own time, not mine.

I walked back in the direction her voice was coming from and saw her standing with three other girls, conversing with one of them.

* nuh the same b that from the parking lot*

Look like it yes.

"Did a wonder where you gone" Yaya said once she spotted me walking toward her.

" can chat so likkle girl no sum'p you supposed to a do," I said to her, but my attention was on the girl she was talking.

Weh mi know dah girl yer from

"Yuh know yuh nuh have no manners mani" Yaya said

"Moyann, this is my rude ass brother Damani; Damian, this is my classmate Moyann the one that is going to be helping me catch up on the work I missed," she continued.

Hearing her name reminded me that she was the girl from the club last night. I don't know if it was her causal clothes or because she was now wearing glasses that made it hard for me to recognize her at first.

"We've met... nice seeing you again Moyann," I said

"Nice seeing you again too," she said, smiling.

"You two know each other?" Yaya said, looking at us

"Yeah, we met the club last night... a waste man did a try-style program, and mi did afi mek him know fi liff," I said to Yaya.

"Thank you for that again by the way," Moyann said

"As mi seh last night that a the least man."

"Well, I'm going to go back to my shopping now. I'll see you on Friday Aeyana."

" yeah girl I'll see you Friday" Yaya said to moyann

"It was nice meeting you guys," she said, directing her statement at Moyann's friends.