Chapter 5

I woke up, groaning as I had difficulty to open my heavy eyes. Thanks to the cloak on the nightstand, I knew that it was 6:30. Knowing that, in the Palais, I was ready to work at 7:50, I needed to act quite quickly. I threw my blankets off me and I made my way to the kitchen. Standing there, I then recalled that I literally bought that apartment the day before.

And so, I didn't have anything to eat. I sighed as I shook my head, surprised by my own stupidity.

I went into the bathroom to see that there was a toothbrush and toothpaste. I didn't care if the toothbrush was used before, I felt that my teeth wasn't clean, and I hated it. 

"Good thing those clothes are special." I said to myself as I looked at myself in the mirror while brushing my teeth. 

Neuvillette made the tailors of Fontaine craft a suit for me. It wasn't as sophisticated as Neuvillette's suit, but it worked for me. 

It consisted as a simple blue buttoned shirt, put within a darkish red trousers. As for the shoes, they were classical black city shoes. 

Considering that I had nothing to do in my apartment, I decided to go outside. I closed the door and locked it up. Furina told me to do that if I left my house. I thought to myself that it was for some security issues.

Once I was out of the apartment, I looked at the Palais Mermonia, which was visible. It was at the highest point in Fontaine, You couldn't miss it. And so, I started to make my way towards the place of my work.

Work

You need to work if you want to afford life.

"Oh, hello Y/N." Neuvillette greeted me as I entered the room. "Hello, monsieur Neuvillette." I greeted back, bowing a bit. He sighed as he stood up from his chair. "Do I need to repeat myself towards that subject ?" He said, he wasn't angry, or annoyed. In fact, I thought that Neuvillette was the only person I saw that couldn't be angry.

"Sorry, force of habit." I said, rubbing the back of my head. He just wanted me to call him Neuvillette. But, I viewed him with great respect, and so, I wanted to make sure he knew that.

"I suppose you found your place to live, yesterday." He said, as he retook his place on his chair. "Yes, quite the apartment to be honest. Unfortunately, I didn't think about buying any food." I said as I felt my hunger increasing. 

"That is not responsible, Y/N. I expect you to take this." He said as he walked towards me. Then, from who knows where, he pulled a plate with a delicious looking cake. I knew that even if I declined his kind offer, he would find a way to make me eat it. "Thank you." So I thanked him as I took the cake.

I took a seat in the couch as I ate the cake. To be clear, I wasn't a glutton, but that cake made me crave for more. "It was a delicious piece of cake." I said as I went at his desk to grab a piece of disposable tissue contained in a small cardboard box. As I cleaned my mouth and my fingers, I couldn't help but to look the thick pile of paper on Neuvillette's desk.

"What is it ?" I asked as I pointed at the pile of paper. "It is an ongoing case in Fontaine. Since 15 days ago, several Fontainians mysteriously disappeared in all Fontaine. The only clue we've had so far is that those disappearance only takes place at night." Neuvillette said as he sighed. I looked at the pile of paper and redirected my look at Neuvillette.

"May I take a look, please ?" I asked Neuvillette, which only nodded. I thanked him and took all the papers and put them on a table near the couch. And then I started to read.