Déjà Vu

"I love you, Miles!" I woke up in a daze, my heart pounding wildly, the echo of those words still reverberating in my ears. As my head struggled to catch up with my body, the realization slowly settled in, Gwen and I were finally a couple. A warm rush of joy enveloped me, my lips curling into a contented smile as the significance of yesterday's date played out in my mind.

— Recalling the events of our time together, my face flushed with warmth, and a subtle heat spread across my cheeks. The memory of yesterday's kiss with Gwen replayed vividly in my thoughts, each detail etched into my consciousness. I found myself smiling uncontrollably at the cherished moments shared. "I love you, Miles." The phrase echoed in my mind once more, and I couldn't help but wonder, did we... really? The dreamlike quality of the declaration lingered, leaving me in a blissful haze as I marveled at the unexpected turn of events in our relationship.

...

— Entering the living room, the blinding rays of the sun streamed through the windows, prompting me to shield my eyes slightly. As my vision adjusted, I noticed Peter and Penny lounging on the couch. "Someone's glowing," Peter remarked with a sly grin on his face, both of them turning to face me upon hearing my footsteps. "What?" I asked awkwardly, avoiding eye contact as I made my way over to the counter. The atmosphere in the room carried a mischievous undercurrent that I couldn't quite pinpoint. "So... How'd it go~?" Penny peered over the couch, a coy smile playing on her lips, as I poured myself a cup of tea. "How'd what go?" I replied, feigning innocence, taking a deliberate sip to maintain composure.

"Your little date," Penny replied, catching me off guard. I choked on my tea, suppressing the reaction with an uncomfortable cough. "I- I don't know what you're talking about," I weakly coughed, wiping my mouth off. "Hmm?" Penny hummed, her eyes narrowing playfully, while Gwen stumbled into the living room, rubbing her eyes. Dark shadows clung beneath her eyes, a stark contrast to her usual sparkle. As our eyes met, an unspoken understanding passed between us, causing both of us to blush and quickly turn away. "You don't know, huh?" Peter remarked aloud, breaking the moment as Penny gestured for me to join her on the couch. I walked over, humoring her as she leaned in close to my ear. "Well, looks like you two had a sleepless night~," she whispered, and I recoiled in embarrassment, clutching my ear. Peter and Penny exchanged triumphant smiles, fist-bumping each other, leaving Gwen with a dumbfounded expression as I shook my head, attempting to downplay the situation.

...

"Congrats, kid," Miguel greeted, glancing over to the door as I barely stepped into his lab. "Not you too..." I groaned in disbelief. "Word travels," he replied, pointing to his ear with a wry smile. "Yeah, yeah," I rolled my eyes, taking a seat on a stool next to him. The room fell into a comfortable silence as Miguel focused on his work, the hum of machinery and the soft clacking of keys filling the space. After a while, Miguel broke the silence, his eyes still fixed on the screen as he continued typing. "So, what do you need, kid? I don't think you plan on sitting here and watching me for the whole day." 

"Can I take some time off Miguel?" I hesitated before asking. "What for?" he asked, finally turning his attention away from the screen. "I want to visit my parents; it's been a while since I've seen them, and I want to check in on them," I explained, imagining how worried my parents must be from not hearing from me for so long. "How long do you need?" he asked, a hint of understanding in his tone. "A day at most," I replied, hopeful for his approval. "I can do that," Miguel agreed. Then, as he pressed a final key and turned to face me, he added, "Though I will be paying you a visit."

— I furrowed my brows in confusion. "What? Why?" "It'll do you and your parents well if I were to introduce myself to them. Instead of the only idea of where their son went was from an email," he reasoned, it was logic that was hard to argue with. I sighed and agreed, just glad I was able to get back to my dimension. He can't know that there was an additional reason for my return that went beyond personal matters.