9. Getting to know each other

Previous chapter: 8. Victor Trevor

John's POV

I wake up happily in the morning. Knowing that I am Sherlock's best friend makes me extremely happy. I can't wait to see him again. I kick my blanket off and storm into the kitchen.

I quickly eat my breakfast, and after I put my school stuff into my bag, I put my coat on and go outside. As I walk closer to Sherlock's house, I can see Sherlock getting ready too. After he steps outside, he sees me. I wave to him.

"Hey!" I say cheerfully.

"Hi!" He says with a smile on his face. He should smile more often. It suits him better than the icy look - not that it's not making him look gor- I should stop this now, I think… We start to go towards the school while we're chatting.

"And if you had a dog, then what kind of dog would it be?" I ask.

"Mm... Irish setter."

"And what would be its name?"

"Redbeard." He says excitedly. "I decided it when I was a little kid." It’s a pleasure to see how happy he is when he speaks about the dog.

"My father unfortunately has an allergy to dogs." I say, but then something pops into my mind. "But I had a hamster!"

"Really? And what was its name?"

"Guppi." I say. "I was very little when we had him. The truth is that I don't really remember him. I just know for sure that his name was Guppi, because when my sister was little she really liked Bubble-guppies." I say and Sherlock chuckles. For a while we’re walking in silence next to each other.

"And what's your favourite season?" Sherlock asks, changing the subject.

"Summer." I say. "Because we have a holiday." I give an issue, to which Sherlock nods in agreement.

"I like it too for this reason. But I hate the hot weather. And I have another very good reason." He looks horrified for some reason, but he doesn’t seem to explain it, so I don't ask.

"Then what's your favourite season?"

"Maybe winter. We have two weeks in December to relax and then there's the spring holiday in February, and some one day holidays. So yes, winter." He says.

"And when's your birthday?"

"Sixth of January."

"That's just one month, then." I say.

"And yours?"

"Seventh of August."

"So it's a bit far."

"Yes."

"And how old will you be? Seventeen?"

"Eighteen." I say. "Why, how old will you be?"

"Seventeen." He says. "You missed a year." He states. I open my mouth to respond, but he's faster than me. "You were a private student for a year, weren't you?" He asks and my mouth falls open in disbelief.

"Okay, how can you possibly know that?" I ask and I get to see one of his smug half smiles.

"Shoot in the dark." He says and continues. "Your family seems wealthy enough to hire a private teacher. But I'm sure they wanted you to make some friends, which let's admit, being a private student made it really difficult." He explains and (like always) leaves me in complete awe.

"Awesome." I say and he smiles contentedly. "You're right. I was a private student for a year, but my parents sent me to school, since I didn't have any friends. But in the school they didn't let me to the sophomores, just to the freshman kids." I explain and he nods.