16. School programs - Friday

Previous chapter: 15. School programs - Thursday

Sherlock's POV

Yesterday was probably the worst day of my life. I was too stupid. After what happened Wednesday afternoon I started to make deductions about John - which yesterday turned out, they were all wrong. I was that naïve to believe that John might feel the same, and I was (I repeat) too stupid and told him this. But then he announced that “sorry, I wasn’t thinking, don’t be stupid, of course I don’t love you”. Well, thank you.

I go downstairs slowly

"Good morning Sherlock!" Mrs. Hudson says and puts my breakfast in front of me.

"Morning." I say and start to eat my bread.

"What will you do today?" She asks curiously, while she’s making another bread.

"We'll solve a Christmas quiz." I grunt, my remaining mood flying away even from its thought.

"Oh! Sounds good." She says.

"Yes. Very good.” I huff and she smiles at me kindly.

After I eat my breakfast and brush my teeth I step outside. As I turn up my head, I see John immediately who’s standing in front of our post box. He waves one which I return reluctantly. I don’t really want to be with him, since he now knows everything about my feelings.

“Morning.” He says and I hum in response. We start to go, not speaking all the way. Wonderful.

After we pack into our lockers, we go into the classroom and have to face our dear mad classmates, making a ZOO from the place which was supposed to be a classroom. Jim and his friends are bullying a smaller boy, a few students are playing loud songs from the school's laptop, someone is reading and other students' are watching something on their phones. I put my bag next to Molly and sit down on my chair. John goes to Anderson and the others, so I stay alone with Molly. She doesn’t look at me, just reads her thick book. I look at her guiltily. Maybe I should say something.

“Molly.” I start, but she ignores me. “I’m sorry for being such an idiot.” I say and she looks at me from the corner of her eyes. “You don’t deserve to be rejected like this, especially not in front of everyone.” I continue and she puts away her book. “You are a great girl, so please don’t be sad or disappointed.” I say and sigh. “Maybe I said no, but I’m sure you will find someone soon who you truly deserve.” I finish and she smiles. I see tears in her eyes and for a second I think that I said something wrong, but then she does something unexpected. She hugs me. I don’t know what to do, so I just pat her shoulders.

“Thank you Sherlock.” I feel a bit uncomfortable in this embrace, but I don’t push her away. “And I’m not sad. I knew you wouldn’t like me like that. But it was worth a try.” She says and I send her a regretful smile.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. It’s okay.” She says, then lets me go and looks at John. She smiles knowingly and looks back at me. “It’s okay.” She repeats and I pull my eyebrows together.

“What?” I ask, confused. She points at John. I look at him. John is looking at us with a suspicious look, then turns back to Anderson. I turn back to Molly. “Oh…” I say, knowing what she meant. “I don’t know what’s his problem, but I’m sure he’s not that mad at you.” I say and Molly makes a confused face. Maybe she didn’t mean this by pointing at him?

“Um… I think I know the reason why he might be mad at me.” She says with a knowing smile. I send her a curious look. “He’s jealous.” She says and I blink a few times. Why would John be jealous?