Back in the Capitol

They had finally arrived in the Capitol after what felt like the longest journey the circus camp had ever made. As their usual route normally took them far from the outskirts of the capitol city, the journey hag been quite out of the way. That was not, however, the reason why it had felt like that it had taken eternity.

Sorsa's anxiety had only gotten since she had learned the news that they would be traveling to the Capitol in the first place. For weeks Airn had stuck to hate like glue to try and ease her internal pain. Anyone who had ventured too far received one warning before he tried to claw their eyes out in his parrot form.

To add to her distress, the Emperor had taken the liberty of sending some of her best troops to save guard them to the Capitol. Trying to hide her anxiety from the troops was a chore, and she nearly managed to do it.

Throughout the entire journey Sorsa and the elves had met in the back of one of the wagons in their caravan that had some extras room in it. Sorta had made it clear that she wanted a backup plan, but the elves had no idea that she wanted a plan for every scenario possible. Together they had made a plan for every letter of the alphabet.

Even with these preparations made, Sorsa still wasn't confident that it would be enough to escape the Emperor from the emperor's own city. Now that they were actually at the threshold of the city, Sorsa was even more certain than ever that this would end badly for them.

The circus was taken to the castle courtyard where they were to set up and prepare to perform in one day. They would be in the city for three days. The first day was set up. The second was performance day. The third would be take down and leave taking. That was the plan, if they could stick to that plan the circus and everyone in it could leave without incident.

They arrived in the city about noon that day. Sorsa helped to set up camp, and by the time all the preparation were done, it was sunset. She looked worryingly at the walls that surrounded her. Then she looked west to the sun that was slowly setting behind the emperor's castle.

Airn. She thought.

Yes? He answered

In going to take a look around.

What!?

I'll be back in about a half hour. I promise.

I'm coming with you.

No you're not. You're bright white, everyone will notice you.

Yes. And they won't recognize and outsider when they see one.

She thought for a moment. Fine.

Airn landed on her shoulder and she starred walking out of the castle gates. Before she could, however, a hand caught here free shoulder. Sorsa, frightened, grabbed the wrist of the person and flipped them so that they were face flat on the ground.

"Joel!!!" Sorta cried in alarm. Helping her up she pleaded, "I'm so sorry!!"

Brushing herself off, Joel demanded, "Where are you going Jill?"

Jill was Sorsa's code name. Airn also had a code name, which read Jack. They were Jack and Jill, under constant surveillance as to make sure that nothing happened to them. Morn also had a code name. His was Hansel. Lien's code name was Gretel. Hansel and Getel. Jack and Jill. The four most important beings in the camp. Everyone else could go be their normal names because they wouldn't draw attention to themselves. But the names of two elemists and their dragons wanted for treason worth a Lording a piece. That would draw a great deal of attention.

"I'm going for a walk," was Sorsa's reply.

Joel didn't seem convinced. "You are to stay here and help with camp. Not go wandering off on the city!!"

"But I want to go see the city!" was Sorsa's reply, but staring Joel deep in the eyes she conveyed a different meaning. She'd like to think that the Emperor wouldn't listen in one the thoughts and conversations of mere circus folk, but she knew that some how or another the Emperor always found out about what went on in that city. Guards were everywhere, they heard every word spoken.

Having received her meaning, and also knowing of the guards, Joel responded, "No! You are to stay here!!" If it was a show they wanted, it was a show they would get.

"Please!! I'll work double shift when I return!!"

Joel acted add if she was thinking, then told Sorsa, "Fine Jill!! Have it your way!! But you will do triple shift when you return!!!"

Sorsa acted delighted. "Oh thank you my lady!!! You will not regret this!!!" Then she ran off as excitedly as she could make herself.

When she was around the corner from the palace, she stopped to a walk and took in all the city. It was just as she remembered it. The blacksmiths hard at work, but the smell from the bakery in the air. The people were smiling. Happy with their modest work that gave them a less than modest income. Families wetter happy with what they had: each other. The city was bright and cheerful. No one even aware that the Emperor controlled everything they considered theirs, and their lives could be changed in a moment's notice.

Sorsa remembered when she wad like that. Happy just being with her parents, her family. She even enjoyed being in the emperor's company at times. But it was all just an illusion. She once called this place home, even by the city's true name: Stor Hem, which means great home. Now it was a place if dread for her. Now it was just the Capitol, the place she wanted to avoid at all costs.

Walking the streets she now looked for possible escape routes in case worst came worst. She and the circus folk would be in the castle walls, but the castle wall was surrounded by a city, which was surrounded by another wall. She had already seen the castle wall enough to be able to escape from there, but the outer wall was another story.

It was doubly thick to prevent anyone from trying to break into the city. There were several gates that led outside. There wetter also doors that lead into the wall where the guards quarters were. There had to be some type of window in there or something to allow air in and out without the door constantly staying open. That seemed to be the wall's weakest point.

Yes, that should work, Airn concluded after flying above the wall for her.

Sorta had a plan, and she wad confident with that plan. Now, if only she didn't have to plan on using it.

A.N. Hey guys, it's been a while. I know, I should have updated sooner, but I had my reasons. Anyways, hopefully the next chapter will come more quickly because it's going to be exciting!!!!! I'm excited to write it!!!!!

READ, COMMENT, VOTE, FOLLOW!!!!! thanks:D

your favorite red dog