Great Winds

They had left jest after lunch. He knew that Claqu was in the forest, and he knew he had to throw him off course. They had split up so that Lien could find dinner, and Morn could plant some nasty little booby-traps for Claqu.

Morn had just finished erasing his foot print to his second trap when Lien had contacted him. Found dinner, she said, I’m going to eat my fill and then take us back to the cave.

That’s fine, he had responded. Leaving Sorsa and the dragon alone at the cave was not his idea. When he said that he was going to have Lien stay behind for protection, Sorsa had made it very clear that she did not want that. She had flown off her hinges telling him that just because she was a women didn’t mean she was incapable of protecting herself. She even made a point to mention that many of the Elven warriors were women and what she had done to him that morning. 

The worst part, was that Lien had joined Sorsa’s side. His own dragon, his partner for life and beyond, had gone against him. She said that Sorsa and the air dragon needed to spend some quality time alone! Eventually outnumbered by females, he had left with Lien to go on patrol. He left Sorsa with only a sword and a fire going.

He in no way agreed with this. With Claqu on their tail he needed to protect the air elemist. It was his job! He had only left the cave because he had learned long ago that when you’re outnumbered, especially by females, you stand down!

Now, here he was setting his seventh trap, and thinking about what was going on in that cave. 

OK, he thought, last trap set. Time to erase the foot prints. Morn held out his hand, and it glowed an emerald green. As he did so, his foot prints in the mud in the dark overgrowth in the forest disappeared one by one. 

From behind him, he heard rustling leaves. He quickly extinguished the spell, and went into the shadows, ready to attack. A bear appeared in the area, with a dead doe in it’s mouth. Get out of the shadows would you Morn, it telepathically said. 

Lien, it’s only you, he replied, I thought it might be someone else.

Who else would it be? I’m the only...

Lien stopped speaking. The air tensed, and grew stale. The east wind that had been blowing strongly all day had suddenly ceased. All noises were silent. A sound of wind, as if a hurricane was coming through, made many of the forest animals panic. 

A strong white wind blew in from the direction of the mountain. It knocked all animals to the ground, and the trees began to bend and creak.

As suddenly as it began, it stopped. The east wind once more resumed its blow, and the air became tropical and sweet again. The animals picked themselves up, and went straight back to where they had been before. 

What was that?, Lien asked. She had turned back into a dragon during the chaos. She had knocked over a few trees, but surprisingly had not sprung one of traps Morn had set earlier. Morn grabbed the deer and threw it on Lien’s back. Then climbed into the saddle himself.

That, he told Lien, was the result of Sorsa finding a name for her dragon.