The Act

"You want me to do what!?!" Sorsa exclaimed. There was no way she was doing that! Sorsa was standing in the giant blue and red tent. People were starting to clear out, watching their step as they went. There were boxes and props all over the ground, as well as a circle around the center of the tent that separated the performing area from the audience. Ten feet above their heads was a net that went across the entire inside diameter of the tent. It was only held up be ropes on the four corners. 

        Above the net were a series of beams and swings. The beams were supported by two large pillars in the inside of the performing circle, one on either side parallel from each other.  On each beam was a swing: a short rod attached to the beam above be a rope on either side. A ladder on either pillar led to a platform at the top of them. These platforms led to the swings at the top. This structure took up the entire tent, and was extremely tall. 

        As explained before, every person in the camp had to do an act of some sort to blend in. The act that these four elves wanted Sorsa to do was the trapeze. This was notoriously one of the hardest acts to pull off. If you did it well, you stunned everyone and you were the best act. If you didn't... well, let's just say you ended up 6 feet under the circus tent. Sorsa had seen this act ever since she was a child. It always fascinated her, but she never had wanted to try it. This was simply because she had seen the performers practice before. Sure, during practice they had the net up. But for the duration of the performance there was no such thing as a net for any of the acts. 

        She was petrified. Just because she rode a dragon didn't mean she still wasn't scared of heights!!! At least with the dragon there was someone to catch her if she fell!! "Nope," she said starting to walk away, "not happening. Goodbye." 

        "Sorsa wait!" Morn called. Sorsa stopped at the giant tent opening. "We'll be performing with you. There is absolutely no need to be afraid. We won't drop you. I swear." Sorsa's breath ceased. Elves never swore to anything, ever! If they swore something, that meant they either did it or they were eternally shamed. Then her breath returned, and she realized a promise wasn't enough to change her mind. "Yeah, I'm still not going to do it," she stated defiantly.

        That's when Deice stepped forward. He seemed to be the brain-iack of the group. "Listen, Sorsa," he said taking her by the hand and slowly leading her towards the group as he talked, "we won't drop you. You are the air elemest!! You'll be in your element! And you can fly without your dragon or anyone else! If anyone should be frightened, it should be Morn." 

        "What do you mean?" Sorsa asked curious. "About Morn, I mean." It was now Tamaracks turn to speak. 

        "Morn is the earth elemest. Every element has some weakness with the other elements. Fire burns him. Water drowns him. Air erodes him slowly over time. He will be completely off the ground; meaning if he gets hurt up their, it could be very serious." Tamarack explained. Morn looked away as if Tamarack had just explained something he had been trying to hide from Sorsa. 

        That explanation was what changed Sorsa's mind. The look on Morn's face, full of pain when that was explained. As if he could already feel it. If Morn could risk his life for the sake of her safety, then she could jump from one swing to another in the air. Besides, she could fly; which meant she could save herself from death if necessary. 

        In her ear she heard Laora whisper, "Don't worry. We'll make sure you don't fall. Just try not to hurt your back to badly if all possible." Sorsa nodded to Laora. Everyone else thought it was her finally understanding the situation. "Fine," Sorsa said, "I'll do it."

        "Great! Let's get started," Deice explained overly excited. Briars followed the group up the ladder to the landing with his normal stone face. They climbed the ladder above the net, almost to the top of the tent.