The Final Night

Anntonia's POV:

"This is it! Best of luck to us, girls!" Miss Costa Rica energetically yelled when I passed by on their line which is the C group. My eyes landed on Miss Chile and she was staring at me with worried face.

What's up?

I was planning to just ignore it but Miss Chile blocked my way and greeted me with her brighter energy and her warm smile plastered on her face.

"Good luck later. I hope that will be well." She said and pointed my right arm.

Right. Miss Chile knows. She helped me once before when she called the staff to bring me to the clinic.

"Thank you. Good luck to you also." I politely responded and waved my hand to tell her that I'm leaving.

I proceeded to walk until I reached Miss Spain who was sitting comfortably on the floor. She was meditating and she has her heels on the side. I wanted to laugh at her but knowing how nerve-wracking the night will be, I would do the same.

"Don't laugh, Anntonia. Please." She murmured, still not moving from her current position and her eyes were still closed.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll look away." I defended as I bit my lower lip to stiffle a laugh.

I looked around and tried to process everything.  Everyone is in a rush and the assistants are doing their extra effort to make sure that every candidate is well accommodated when they have concerns that require their help.

Earlier, before I stepped in the backstage, I saw a lot of posts that I was tagged in wherein they lit the towers and commercial buildings in Thailand with white, blue, and red lights, wishing me a good luck as I try to bring back the crown to my country.

They really believe in me. It has been a good 35 years since we last tasted the victory of being crowned Miss Universe. I might be doubting myself, but I really hope that I'll do well. This is where I'm best at: to represent my country with all the training I brought with me here and the heart to give back to my people.

Win or lose, I won my people. They love me for what I've already done. They saw how I fruitfully exerted my all to show them that Thailand is worth representing.

It's not just me. I know that the ladies here carries the support that their countrymen send them by their own means. Imagine carrying the pride of your country with you, that's the actual meaning of this competition. It's not just us— trying to win the validation of being the most beautiful girl in the universe— but it is the fact that we came here with the purpose of extending our platform to inspire and raise the cause we are trying to champion.

I can hear "good luck" messages everywhere. That makes me extra tensed but also very overwhelmed that I won last August; that's why I am here.

I was just looking around when I saw Fabienne running towards me. My face went excited because it's so calming to see her in times like this. It's great to see one of the trusted friends I have here.

"Ann! Ann! Are you looking at me? Oh? Yes! Sorry, my eye contacts are making my eye quite blurry." Fab went straight to me and offered a beso. I reciprocated the gesture and hugged her tightly.

One thing's for sure, I will also miss this woman.

"Are you keeping it? You might have a hard time on stage." I asked.

"You think so? Should I remove it?"

"It's on you. But I advise you to remove it."

"Okay, okay. Will do, and I'll get going. I must line up too." Fab said and looked around to probably ask for assistance. "Bye, Ann! I wish you luck!"