Chapter 2: Medical Exam

Evelyn stood in the steady stream of the shower. The water was so hot her skin was red, yet she still shivered. Everything that happened in the last 48 hrs swirling around her sore head. She hoped maybe if she stayed long enough she would drown herself physically...she already felt like she was emotionally and mentally drowning. At least physically the excruciating pain in her heart would stop.

She watched the dirt, grim, Griever guts, sand and blood run down her body and swirl around the white tiled floor and down the drain. Watching everything swirl around it was like her feelings and thoughts so many different things all mixing together and then draining, leaving her feeling empty. She sunk to her knees and then curled up on the floor of the shower and stayed curled. She wanted to cry, she felt like crying, but nothing came. Like her heart and soul had bleed empty. There was nothing left.

Everytime she closed her eyes she heard the screams of the boys in the Maze hall. She could feel the blood splatter onto her face when she rolled through one of the boys blood and insides. Evelyn could see and hear Gally cry in pain as the spear pierced his chest; when Evelyn closed her eyes she watched the life leave Gally's always intense yet kind eyes. She would see Alby's lifeless haunted eyes, looking at her but not seeing.

And worst of all she relived Chuck's death. She would hear the knife in his chest, the sound of his chocking and gargling of blood in his lungs. She felt his body sag loosing life. When Evelyn closed her eyes she could hear his weak thin voice calling her mom for the last time. When Evelyn closed her eyes, she relived a living hell.

She stayed curled on the shower floor so long there was a knock on her shower stall door.

"Hey...you alright Evy?" Teresa called gently.

No, she thought, no I'm not alright and never will be again. But she pushed herself up to sit, and instead called back quietly "Yeah. I'm fine. Thanks Tessa."

"Sure?"

"Yeah. A few more minutes."

"Okay. I'll be out with the guys. They're getting looked at by some doctors."

Evelyn heard footsteps and then the door closed. Evelyn sat for another moment before she picked herself up and actually used shampoo and soap and cleaned herself up. This Way Station provided razors and soap scrubbies, shampoo and conditioner that smelt like coconut and vanilla, and not just basic clean. It took three full washes to clean her hair.

Stepping out of the shower she pulled on the pajama pants and tank top, they were surprisingly soft and warm. But what she was most thankful for was the clean brand new underwear, socks and sports bra. Evelyn stepped up to the mirror and wiped the steam away. Staring back at her was a girl she recognized, but she had changed.

Sure the Glade had a few Mirrors, but they were quite broken, and so dirty it was hard to see much. She also never really bothered, there was no need when everyone looked just as dirty and sweaty. The boys liked her for her not her looks; well they learned to like her despite her looks.

The big bright green eyes weren't as bright and sparkly as they used to be. Her eyes had lost their innocence, she had seen more than any person should ever see. Her pale skin had a splash of freckles across her cheeks and nose and had a healthy golden glow from being outside for two years.

But we weren't actually outside...it was some kind of underground cave...UV lights? How did they make sunshine underground?

She shook her sore head, she wouldn't be able to ever understand WICKED. Evelyn looked back at her reflection. Her smile was gone. Her pink lips were pressed into a tight line. She had a pretty good blue and purple bruise forming on the side of her face from her temple all the way down to her cheek bone.