Chapter 4: Janson's Theories

Evelyn sat bolt up right, panting wildly.

"Well the adrenaline injection worked."

Evelyn's heart was beating so fast it hurt, it slammed into her chest. Her eyes were wide open. Her head spun around, trying to figure out what was going on.

"Good morning Subject X."

Evelyn turned her head the other way. Janson was leaning against the wall, a bored look on his twitch face. He was wearing a white turtleneck sweater under his white suit. He was holding a book and a manila envelope shoved full of papers. Disgust filled Evelyn. She had a brief thought of lunging at him and sucking his life.

"I wouldn't do that. Remember what happens if you don't comply?" Janson said sweetly, raising his black remote. He pushed a button and the screen came on.

Evelyn deflated in defeat. Her eyes glued to the screen. Minho, Newt, Teresa, Sonny, Nick and Clint were all up on the screen. Her heart broke again.

"What now?" She whispered.

"Yesterday's display was quite extraordinary. Without the suppression of your powers, you were able to bring Subject A4 back to life! He has passed all his medical exams and will be joining the others shortly. However my medical team had to work quite hard to keep you alive. You were out for three days."

"Life for a Life."

"Indeed that's how it seems to be. I have three individuals for you today. The first is someone familiar to you. Make you feel at home."

Janson pressed a button and a gurney was rolled in. Janson pushed off the wall and followed the doctor before he got to the door, he turned to look at Evelyn.

"I have somewhere to be soon, fix the problem quickly."

The door snapped closed. Evelyn's chin quivered. She hated this. Being used, manipulated, lied to. She looked around, it was the same room she woke up in last time. Bright white walls and ceiling, cement floor, a two way mirror on one side, a screen with her friends, and now that she looked around, she saw cameras in the corners.

She ran a shaking hand through her hair, and looked at the gurney. She had a suspension, but she wasn't sure. She saw short dark hair. She slowly got up and stepped over. She pulled the sheet. Her suspension was correct. It didn't help the hurt, the shock and the pain. Jeff lay on this gurney. Holding a hand over her trembling mouth she placed a hand on Jeff's chest.

She felt his heart still beating, but hardly, it was struggling. She she knew, by just feeling him, his body had an infection. She pulled the sheet more. His torso was ripped open and shredded. He had lost so much blood, his entire body was slick with a fever induced sweat.

"Oh Jeffy. I'm sorry!" She whispered, gently holding his face. "What did they do to you?"

"Subject X, hurry up. I have somewhere to be. And he's dying."

Evelyn threw a very nasty look in the direction of two way mirror. She placed her hands on either side of Jeff's mangled stomach and took a steadying breath.

She could feel her powers swirling around. It was shocking to her how much that chip in her head surpressed her powers. It was easier to harness them and they seemed to be stronger. However, she also knew that her powers did drain her. Reviving Chuck apparently nearly killed her. Trying to fix this mangled mess would probably take her close to that point again.

Closing her eyes, clenching her jaw, all her muscles tensing. She forced the hot tingling healing powers down her arms and into Jeff. She could feel his insides untwisting and mending together. With a grunt she forced another wave into Jeff's body. She could feel the infection leaving. She was sweating and panting.