Chapter 22: Crank City

Captain Jaz led them around a few more corners and turns. Sonya and Amy were carrying Evelyn at this point. Evelyn was having a hard time staying conscious. She just wanted to lay down and sleep.

"Come on Eve, stay with me!" Sonya encouraged.

"Just around the next turn!" Captain Jaz called.

"Oh good!"

The group rounded the corner and at the end of the short passageway was a ladder. An old black metal ladder with rusty rungs. Captain Jaz told them to wait, and she climbed the ladder and with a grunt moved the heavy metal grate. Bright light poured down. Some of the girls hissed and threw their hands over their eyes.

"Dang!"

"We on the surface of the sun?"

"I think I'm melting!"

"This is how vampires must feel!"

Evelyn however removed her arms from around Sonya and Amy's shoulder and staggered into the bright hot sun. She closed her eyes and tilted her face up letting the sun heat up her face. She could feel it warming her whole body. It was like the cold icy claws that had gripped her heart and soul were melting away. She actually smiled.

"Okay. Girls, one at a time up the ladder." Captain Jaz called down.

Evelyn waved a few of the girls up. She counted the. As they went. Amy was first, holding a long knife in her teeth as she climbed. Then Kennedy, now that she was bathed in sun her blond curls had red in it and her cheeks and nose had a splash of freckles. She had a little mischievous smile. Hannah, Meagen, Jill, Olivia, Avery and Rossa. Harriet came over and nodded with her head.

"Up ya get Healer."

Evelyn took a deep breath and ground her teeth as she started to climb. Her arms were shaking, her legs felt like jelly, having a hard time supporting her weight. Captain Jaz reached down and helped pulled her up. Evelyn clawed her self over the edge and collapsed onto the ground, she rolled onto her back and just lay in the hot sun.

Evelyn grinned. They made it through the Underneath! She lived. She felt lighter, more hopeful in the bright sun. Sure there were cranks up here too...they were in the middle of crank city, but she felt like it was doable now that they had lived through the dark silent tombs of the Underneath.

Sonya, Teresa and Harriet climbed up the ladder and made it to the surface safely.

"Wow. Sunshine and fresh air!"

"How hot is it?"

"It's either the surface of the sun or were in bloody hell!"

Evelyn and Teresa both snorted.

"Something Newt said!"

"Great minds think alike!"

"So Captain...where is this Marcus?" Evelyn asked, slowly proping herself up onto her elbows. The sun gave her a bit of strength. She needed a nap, so badly she wanted a nap and a shower.

"Well...about half a days walk." She shielded her eyes and looked around, "it's still early in the day, we can get a few blocks in before we rest during the heat of the day and then continue in the late afternoon and evening, rest for the night."

"Sounds like a plan. Let's go." Harriet nodded.

She hefted her backpack, picked up the spear she had and turned to lead the group. Sonya and Teresa both held out a hand for Evelyn. She greatfully took them and they hefted her to her feet. The girls all followed after Captain Jaz and Harriet.