Chapter 26: Goose's Apartment

The door slammed shut and Evelyn heard the lock click. She let out the breath she was holding. She tried to step away, but Goose's arm still held her firmly in place. Fear spiked through her body. She slowly looked up, he was already looking down at her. His eyes were dark, the crank was trying to push through. 

"Goose?" She whispered, "Please let me go." 

"But you said you were mine." He growled. 

"Do I have a choice right now?" Her voice was quiet and thick with fear.

"Doubt it." 

"Please let me go." 

"You're feisty. And smart...and damn your gorgeous." he was muttering, the way he was saying it, it had an edge to it, it made her mouth dry and her stomach twist in fear. 

"Noah...please." her voice was a squeak now.

He blinked. His lips pulled down into a frown, and his dark eyebrows pulled together. He was staring down at her, still held tight to his chest. "What did you call me?" His gruff needy edgy voice had faltered and it was more confused. 

"Noah. I used your name, that's what you told me yesterday. You said your name was Noah." 

"No one has called me that in years." 

"Noah...please let me go. I'm really uncomfortable." She whispered, tears forming in her eyes. 

"Dammit! Don't cry!" 

He let go of her like she had burnt him. She stumbled backwards, the dagger was still clutched tight in her fist. So tight her knuckles where white and the handle had started to frost over. She crossed her arms over her exposed chest, and turned slightly.

"Dammit! I'm sorry! I'm so sorry, Kitten...Evelyn. I'm sorry Evelyn!" He cried, his eyes were pleading with her, they weren't dark with the Flare anymore, they were back to their dark navy blue. He backed up and sank down onto the couch. Evelyn only now realized had a pillow and blanked tossed to the side. 

"It's okay...the Flare makes us all act...not like our selves." 

He looked up sharply, "It's not okay. I'm not that kind of guy...to take advantage of a girl, but dammit...if you weren't already taken..."

She frowned. "How do you-"

"Both times you crank, you call for a guy's help. Newt. He must be pretty special, to remember his name while your cranking...lucky guy." He said wearily, rubbing his face with his hands. 

Evelyn couldn't help it, but she smiled a little, he was special, he always would be. But then it slid off her face. 

"I'm cranking and he's on his way to the Safehaven for Immunes and uninfected. I won't make it with them..." She whispered, another tear formed and slid down her face. 

Goose looked at her sadly. Pity in his eyes. She stood awkwardly in the middle of his apartment trying hard not to cry while he watched her. The quiet dragged on. She took a shuddering breath, used the back of her hands to dry her tears. 

"So...what happened to my shirt?" 

He looked sheepishly at her, his face turning slightly pink. His hand went to his hair. 

"After you knocked yourself out, I put you in the bed. I didn't want to take the shirt off, but that crank bite needed cleaning. I couldn't get at it, so...I uhh... I had to cut it. Sorry." 

"Oh." She said in a small voice. 

"Sorry." he said again. 

Though he didn't look overly sorry, she still appreciated that he left her shirt on. She was trusting him more and more, though his crank episode freaked her out...but she was no better. Maybe she should just stay here. Newt could have a life, live fully, find someone who could live a full long life with him. She only had a few months, at most. If what Jorge had said and the more trauma done to the brain she would turn fast, especially if she was around other wild cranks, and the suppressant drug wears off. She didn't stand a chance.