Chapter 9: Broken Things

Evelyn felt Newt's steady breathing, every time he exhaled it tickled the back of her neck. Jeff had finally fallen asleep, he had cried himself to sleep. Evelyn still had a few tears slowly rolling down her cheeks.

She slowly and carefully untangled herself from the boys. She got her feet. And stepped over the other boys, she came to sit at the edge of the cave entrance. She stared out into the dark night. The wind whipped the sand around. The screamed of cranks floated through the air. Evelyn sat cross legged, Chuck's little statue in her hands. While she fidgeted with it she noticed her finger tips were still slightly white. Like the frozen death power frost bite hadn't quite left.

She slowly and cautiously pulled her jacket and shirt sleeve up. The white veins had spread higher up her arm. Not much, but there was definitely more.

"Hey Pixy."

Evelyn quietly covered the veins.

"Pix, I've seen them...and it's getting worse."

Evelyn lowered her head. Tears stung her eyes. She nodded. Minho sat down on one side and Sonny sat down on her other side.

"I'm sorry." She whispered.

"For what?" Sonny asked.

"For... snapping at you. And what I did-'

"For saving us? For saving Newt? And Jessie? And Winston? Giving us a few extra minutes?"

"I have a power that takes life!"

"A gun can take a life. Your powers do the same." Minho pointed out.

"It's true, Evy. Any weapon can be used in self defence or an act of aggression."

She just shook her head, her head down. She had a hand holding her other forearm. It was a prickling cold pain. The three were quiet for a while. Evelyn wasn't supposed to be on watch, but the guys didn't say anything.

"How are you feeling?" Minho asked.

Evelyn shrugged. She took a shuddering inhale, closing her eyes she let out the breath.

"Guys?" She whispered so quietly they almost didn't hear.

They both looked at her. They saw the tears slide down her cheeks. She had picked her head up, staring straight ahead. Her jaw clenched and her eyes narrowed.

"Those....monsters...are my eventual fate. I don't know how long that repression drug Mary gave me will work...but I have the Flare. I can feel it-"

"-Evelyn!"

"No. Please just listen!" She cut off Minho before he could start.

She took both their hands and held them tight. She took another shuddering breath, her chest rising and falling a few times.

"I trust you two the most. I love Newt. With all my heart. I love him, but he won't...he won't understand."

"Understand what?" Sonny asked quietly.

She closed her eyes and swallowed hard. When she opened her eyes both boys saw the resolve and hard steel in her normal gentle green eyes.

"I don't want to get to that point. I don't want to forget. I can't. I love him...I love Newt. I love Chuck. I love you Min...and you too Sonny. I don't want to forget. Please... please don't let me get to that point."

"Pixy? What are you asking?" Minho whispered.

She didn't look at either of them, but stared straight ahead, after the long shrill scream of a past gone crank, she answered.