Chapter 26

ZANOKUHLE

Chapter 26

I look at her as she pours a glass of water for herself while I sip on mine before she turns gracefully and faces me.  We are in her office today and not her house. She requested to see me and here I am seated on a couch yet for her to ask me questions that I don't want to answer at times. She asks the same old things everytime she sees me and I don't know if she wants me to answer her questions in Chinese and maybe she would be able to understand me when I have answered her questions in that manner.
“I haven't seen you in a while Zano”,She mentions.
It has only been a few weeks. I last saw her before I left for Johburg to visit Nkosana for the last time and he recently left after I had settled well in my new school. 
I like it so far, the teachers are patient and my school partner/friend is okay too. Just that she is talkative but she reminds me of Nomvula who is also talkative.
I got another message from Tusani and I ignored it once again. I do not know what to do, I am scared but Nkosana has been promising me that I will be okay and Gumede the driver will take care of me and be there when I need protection from anything of that matter. 
Mrs Vilakazi settles in her chair and she looks at me. The first 4 months of the year are about to come to an end and I am proud of myself for the change that I have had in my life and accepted though it is still a journey but I am happy that I am doing okay.
“I have school”,I reply.
She smiles wider and takes a sip of her water and I hold onto my glass staring at her.
She is elegant, ages well enough and seems to be taking care of her beautiful dark skin. Her hair is short but it suits her very well as her hairstyle is pretty. I have seen wigs and weave in the manner of her hair and they look good and some bad quality. 
Her nails are not long, just short and well kept and you can see the make up on her face and I like the purple lipstick she has on her lips.  She smells nice, her office smells really good.
“I heard. How is school going for you? Are you adjusting well?”,Something that everyone has been asking me since I started with school and I would say that I am doing quiet well.  I am adjusting to the chool environment once again after 12 years of not attending anything. 
I just hope I would be able to pass but my teacher said that I am a great cook and fast learner as well. Maybe it is because I am passionate about cooking and Mrs Mthimkhulu does take me on weekends to cook with her and I polish what I had learnt with her during the week. 
She said when I am 6 months into school she will take me to her restaurant that she has.  She told me about it and Nkosana did mention it in passing so I would say that I am excited. 
“I am doing okay”,I reply.
She smiles as she looks at me. 
“That is good, I am happy that you are doing well”
I just nod my head.
“When is the visit ending?”,She giggles lightly and she sips on her water before she puts it on the little coffee table in front of us. 
“You want to go now?”,I nod my head. 
“We will have just a few more minutes before you go. I just have a few things to catch up with you on”,She mentions and I keep my silence. 
She draws in her breath and looks at me. 
“How is living without Nkosana for these past few weeks. Have you seen him recently?”
“No, I am okay. Tusani is bothering me though”,She lightly frowns.
“Oh, what did he say?”,I didn't know who to tell about this. I haven't told anyone and she is the first one to know.
“He said he will tell my family that Nkosana took me”,I mention and she looks at me.
“How does that make you feel?”
“I don't want to go back home. I love it here”,She smiles.
“It shows. You are glowing each and every time I see you”,Her smile is contagious I can't help but smile!
“What does Bhungane say about this?”,I haven't told him. 
“He doesn't know”
“Oh, why not?”
“He lives far and I don't want to worry him with work and school. What if he sends me back home to protect me from Tusani or because he respects my family.
“Nkosana, how do you know he loves you?”,I am conflicted with that question.
How do I know? I have never been asked that question.
“I don't know”,I say and she looks at me.
“Why are you his girlfriend then?”
“I love him”
“Do you love him because he makes you feel...normal or do you love him because he rescued you from Tusani ?”,I drink from the glass of water and look at her. 
“He understands me and makes me feel happy. I don't have to try and be different for him to like me",She smiles.
“What does he do? Tell me”,She mentions.
I swing my feet lightly.
“He doesn't shout at me or get angry at me. He tells me he loves me,he calls me everyday to say good night and in the morning he tells me I am beautiful. Don't you say nice things to someone you love?”,I ask looking at her. 
“You do, a man who loves you makes you feel like an oyster in the ocean. An egg and so far Bhungane is doing okay”,I blink and look at her. 
“Can you come and see me next time?”,She asks. 
“Maybe, I will see”,I say and she laughs.
“Okay, I can take that for now”,I look at her. 
I feel some sharpness surfacing on my abdomen and I moan and hold onto my stomach. She stands up and rushes to me.
“Are you okay Zano?”,It comes again but this time I feel where the sharpness is coming from. I feel that fisting thing in my stomach and I scream.
“Something is moving in my belly”,I say and she looks at me concerned.
“Okay lie on your back quickly.”,I lie on my back and she lifts my top up and touches my belly.
“Where are you feeling the pain?”,She asks.
“It was there. Maybe I swallowed a snake”,I cannot image. Maybe I did and I didn't know. The sausage might have been a snake. 
We both look at my belly and we see parts of my belly moving and I cry.
“A snake is moving in me”,I quickly say.
“Let's go to the doctor okay. I will call Buhlalo”,I cry. 
Oh no, I have a snake in my stomach. 
“Get it out please!”,I say.
“Calm down Zano”,She says. 
I look at her. She quickly gets her phone and makes a call. 
She paces up and down the room while I am still crying.
“Calm down Zano, it has stopped”,I sniff and try to wipe my tears. 
I let out little gas after that as I wipe my tears.  She speaks to Mrs Mthimkhulu and soon after their conversation she grabs her bag.
“She will meet us at the doctor's office okay?”,I nod my head. 
“Come”,She says and I sit up and wipe my eyes.
“You will be okay, no snake is in you okay?”,I nod my head. 
“Okay”,I am scared.