Chapter 32

We've prepped and we've prepared. The plan has been drilled into my head so many times by so many people, it's almost as if it's on constant replay in my mind. Starting, stopping, fast-forwarding, rewinding, in my mind over and over again. Never fading or wavering. Consistently there.

Right now is the moment. Possibly the last peaceful moment before the end of my life. Possibly the last moment before my new life. Whichever it is, I'm okay with it. I've come to terms with some things in the last few hours, that things are going to be okay, no matter what happens. Maybe I'll get to see my parents again or maybe I can start my life, free from the constant fear of being hunted, with my new family.

I take a deep breath as the SUV comes to a stop in front of a large, wore-down warehouse. I exhale slowly as John begins to speak.

"You all know what to do," he says. "So let's do it, and come out alive."

With that we're ushered out of the SUV which immediately takes off. I quickly glance at all the faces I'm surrounded by; the boys, and a couple other people. As per John's instructions, I do not glance around the perimeter, not wanting to draw attention to the military men hiding in various locations, waiting to come to our aid.

The doors of the warehouse open and six very large men exit the building. They quickly form a tight circle around the six of us and we led slowly into the warehouse.

I feel like my heart is going a mile a minute. It's beating so quickly and loudly that I'm sure everyone can hear it.

This is it.

We come into a large room with a man and a woman standing in the middle. They don't move when we enter, not even a centimetre, they wait until we reach them before they so much as blink.

"Anyone who is not one of the four children may now leave," the man's booming voice echoes around the room, making me jump a little at the sheer loudness of it.

"We are to stay with the children until the hostage has been released." It annoys me how they continue to refer to us as children. We're not adults, but it's not as though we're just out of diapers and learning how to walk and talk. The four of us have been around for a little longer than that, and I plan to stick around.

The man moves quickly, so quickly his movements are a blur. One moment we're all standing semi-calmly. The next a gun is trained on one of our group.

Sadly, I feel like more are to follow.

The man paces over to the person who spoke. He lifts the gun to the woman's face and taps it against her cheek. "You're now in my world. You play by my rules. What I say goes. Do you understand me?"

The woman nods quickly, her eyes never leaving his face. I know how terrified she must be, but she doesn't let it show she sets her jaw and stares back.

"I asked if you understood me!" He roars.

"I understand," she says quietly, "Sir."

The man smirks. "I like this one," he glances at his female counter part. "We should keep her."

"You will not," a person from our party speaks up. "We had a deal. We've maintained our end of the bargain and you are expected to do the same. No one is to be harmed in the matters of this deal. This has already been discussed and agreed to."

The man saunters over to this new voice. "Oh really?"

"Yes."

"Well in that case..." the man places the gun over the guy's heart, and pulls the trigger. Blood splatters all over the man's face, his gun, his clothing. I let out an involuntary gasp, and immediately turn my head away. The sound of the gun shot, and the slumping body reminds me too much of my own parents death. I feel tears forming in my eyes, for the man who has just had his life taken from him and my parents.