Chapter 26

“Here we are,” the president says as he opens the door to a room filled with many computers and other forms of higher technology. I look around in awe. It’s simply amazing with many people sitting at computers doing various, most likely, important things. “So I will just have Rob here do a search then we will get to work at fixing this problem.”

            We all nod along with what he is saying.

            “So if you could all just have a seat over there that would be great,” the president says, gesturing to a cluster of chairs in one of the corners. Naturally we all obey him and move to the overstuffed chairs and matching loveseat.

            Colton and Alec both opt for a chair so Parker and I share the loveseat. Colton pulls his chair closer to Alec and they start up a hushed conversation. Parker and I sit in silence. I’m still confused but I don’t really want to focus on things with him at the moment. As it can clearly be seen we all have larger problems at the moment. Ones that deserve my full concentration. Problems that if not solved could lead to my death and yet here I am wondering what is going through Parker’s pretty blonde head.

            I let out a sigh.

            “Hey are you alright?” Parker asks as I rest my head in my hands. After a moment’s wait I take my head out of my hands to look at him. I should be thinking of something important right now but at the moment I am wondering why someone can have eyes that green, so bright and luminous.

            “I’m just great,” I say, letting some sarcasm slip into my voice. So I’m not horrible but this hasn’t been the best day of my life per say.

            His arm comes around me, “What’s wrong?” His face looks deadly serious, determined to know what’s going on with me. A part of me is beaming that he would notice and care enough to ask that but another part wishes that I could run away and hide. I don’t really like sharing my feelings with many people and I’m simply not comfortable with it. I’m not an open book.

            “You know the usual problems,” I say. “The terrorists trying to kill all of us.”

            “I think there’s something more to it,” Parker says with a frown. He’s right. How he could have possibly concluded that I don’t know but he is right and it annoys me.

            “You’re right there is more to it but now is hardly the time to be discussing it,” I say as if to drop the issue.

            “That may be true, it’s not a great time,” Parker says, “however there’s never going to be a perfect time to talk about anything.”

            “That’s true enough,” I say. I don’t want to agree. I need to stall. There is no way I want to talk to him of all people about the confusion I’m feeling about him. It only makes it worse knowing the conversation I had with Jackie that really made me think about each one of the guys. Especially Parker. Basically she made me admit things that I didn’t even knew I was thinking about.

            “So go ahead what’s wrong,” Parker says. Oh no! I need to do something. I promise I will tell him after this is all over. If it’s ever all over, that is. I will tell him but not now. I’m not sure on anything and it’s just not a good time for me.

            “I think the president is almost done,” I say. “We shouldn’t start discussing something when he’s going to want to talk to us soon. It would be rude and improper of us seeing as he’s the one who is going to help us get out of this mess.”