Chapter 27

I move myself away from Parker as the president begins to speak. I feel that it is only proper that I am not sprawled over a boy when the president of one of the most influential countries is speaking directly to me. To top things off, he is not having a simple conversation about the weather with me, he is discussing how to save my life. He deserves my full attention.

            That’s why I feel guilty when his words don’t make me feel 100% happy.

            “The Canadian Government is offering their assistance. They had already been approached by another of your group over this issue but had a hard time deliberating,” the president says. “The other group must not have been as convincing.”

            “Pardon me sir,” Parker says. “The reason that may be is that they did not have Becca with them. I believe she is the one that won our case and without her it would have been much more difficult to take us seriously.”

            “That is very true Parker. Thank you for shedding that light on this,” the president says. Everyone thinks in different ways and sees different scenarios. If we didn’t have to be in hiding I’m sure Parker could do many great things with his life. He is a very convincing person and sees things in multiple ways.

            The president clears his throat before continuing to speak about the situation. “We currently have a few other countries offering their assistance to keep this matter contained. I believe we have enough help so move forwards, as of right now I am waiting to hear back for the military. Once that is settled, things may be dealt with.”

            “Thank you,” I say. “For everything. For taking us seriously even though we’re just four teenagers. It means a lot.”

            “I’m happy to help but out nations security is also at risk meaning that I do not have a choice,” the president says. “My most important duty as president is to keep the people of my nation safe.”

            We nod along with him. “And we are grateful for that,” Parker says. “We just thought we would offer our thanks even if it was something you need to do. You may be protecting your people, who may be harmed by this whole ordeal but first and foremost, we’re the ones affected by this outcome.”

            The president smiles. “You are a very smart young man. All of you are.” We chorus our thank you before allowing him to continue. “I wish you didn’t have to stay hidden away. Perhaps after this threat is taken care of, if it is, excuse me. I can’t be too confident. You may all live normal lives, no longer hiding from society.”

            “I believe we would all like that very much,” Parker says. “There is a problem though.”

            “And what would that be?”

            “All of us are a family a closely knit group of people,” Parker says. “I don’t believe I could live somewhere without these guys and I hope they feel the same way.”

            “Understood,” he says, “but I wasn’t suggesting a separation between your family. I was simply providing the idea of no longer being hidden from the world. You could live a semi-normal life from now on and do things today’s young people do.”

            Parker nods. I’m touched a little by his words as I assume that I am also included in what he has said. It’s not like I have anywhere else to go and he said, only a few moments ago, that he cares for me, at least in a sisterly sort of way.

            The phone begins to ring and the president holds up a finger and mouths excuse me, before answering.

            He lapses into conversation with whoever is on the other end of the line. I’m hoping that it’s the military. Once that is taken care of we can come up with a game plan and the sooner we do that the better.