Chapter 14

I grab my dress off of the chair before we pile back into the golf cart. Parker slowly starts to make the trip back through the bush. Was all of that stalling? Sure no one else was there, but there were lights and a tent thing set up, along with the volleyball nets.

            I lean my head back against the headrest. What were they planning? Really a nice dinner would have been sufficient but they were doing this whole pre-party then the real party. I didn’t need it, sure it’s nice that they’re going through the party but being taken in by them was gift enough.

I didn’t need anything else but it was still nice, anyone would have to admit it. They already know they didn’t need to go to all the trouble yet they still did and me telling them they ‘shouldn’t have’ but then proceeding to have the best time ever with no hesitation was a little contradictory.

The house comes back into sight once more.

Parker shuts the golf cart down, “Everybody get out.”

“How polite,” I mutter.

The guys start to file into the house, using the back door. I follow them wondering what else they have planned.

The house is decorated from top to bottom with “Happy Birthday Colton & Becca” and “Sweet Sixteen” and multiple other things hanging from the ceilings and walls. I smile to myself as I walk through the house taking in everything that they’ve done. It’s simply amazing.

We enter the dining room where everyone was gathered, waiting for us. They all have smiles on their faces as they watch us enter the room.

Helen smiles at me as so the other heads, we take a seat down beside them.

“I hope you guys had fun,” Helen says with an amused glint in her eyes, “Because we’re moving onto the boring part of the night.”

“How could this ever be boring,” Colton says.

Helen smiles at him, “We want to give you your presents.”

My eyes go wide as I watch each of the guys file into the room with two presents in their hands. What? Did they seriously get me presents? No they couldn’t have they have to be for Colton, come on who would spend money on a girls they’ve known for a week.

Yet, they come into the room and set one present each in front of us, leaving a big stack threatening to fall over.

“Did you guys really get me stuff?” I ask. “You really didn’t have to, you haven’t known me that long or anything it really wasn’t necessary.”

“It was necessary,” Eli says. “You’re part of the family now and even if we weren’t you’re pretty cool so we would have done it anyways.”

I feel tears pricking at my eyes.

“Come on don’t start to cry,” Parker says. “Just open the presents so we can eat cake.”

I glare at him, “Jerk.”

“I try,” Parker shrugs.

I turn away from him so Colton and I can start the task of going through the task of opening our presents. I deliberately take longer than necessary just to piss Parker off. He deserves it really he picks the worst moments to say stuff. What Eli said was truly touching but then he had to call me out on getting teary-eyed. It’s my birthday, now I may sound like a brat, but he’s being an ass.

Even with Parker being his usual jerky self I’m able to get over it and just enjoy everything. Simply them all celebrating Colton and my birthday is amazing but they still took time to buy some seriously thoughtful stuff. It was just like they put thought into what they got us even though they didn’t have to get me anything. It just made everything that much better.