Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Everyone has to make sacrifices, some more than others.

            My heart goes out to the president as I hear him on the phone with the group of terrorists. He may not be the one going into danger but he is doing something that goes against his own morals. He is playing a game with our lives, and one wrong roll of the dice will end them.

             I stare at the president as he continues to talk and make agreements, disagreements, and compromises. Despite the president’s unhappiness at going along with this he remains very persuasive, and we may end up getting what we want. It is hard to tell though because I am not hearing both sides of the conversation. The only words reaching my ears are what the president says, despite my ear straining.

            After the longest ten minutes of my life the president hangs up his phone. I sit staring at him, waiting for him to speak, as do the others.

            “They are giving us twenty-four hours to prepare,” the president says when he finally speaks.

            “That’s good right?” Parker asks.

            The president nods. “It is, but it is going to be a long twenty-four hours.” He pauses for a moment. “I know this is going to sound ridiculous to say at a moment like this, but you four should rally get some sleep.”

            “Really, sir, I think we should be in on the planning,” Parker says.

            “And you will be,” the president responds. “I’m only suggesting a few hours for all of you to wrap your heads around this and be ready for what’s to come. I’m not stopping you from refusing but I believe if you are at least a little rested our chances at succeeding tomorrow will increase significantly.”

            “Fair enough,” Alec says. At our looks he decides to elaborate. “I believe he is right. I don’t see myself getting much sleep but if it will help us and everyone tomorrow, I think we should do it.”

            I sigh but agree. Colton pats Alec’s shoulder and Parker, being outnumbered, decides not to fight against us. The president gives us a small smile before he gestures for us to follow him out the room. Of course, we are not allowed to venture around ourselves, especially now, so the Secret Service agents that are hovering around inside the room, flank us.

            We walk through the halls, passing many closed and some open doors, before the president pauses. He pushes open the door of what looks to be a bedroom, there are two beds in the middle of it, and two other doors that branch off from the room.

            “There is another room that you are welcome to use,” the president says, “If Becca would like to sleep by herself.”

            The president, obviously,

Does not know of my usual sleeping habits. Instead of explaining anything I decide to make something up, well it’s not exactly making something up, it’s the truth. It’s just not the top reason why I’m declining. “No thank you, this should be fine,” at his odd glance I decide to elaborate. “I mean, I think we should all stay together.”

            “Okay, then I’ll leave you to sleep. There will be two Secret Service agents outside of your door. When you wake up, go to them and they will bring you to wherever I am or to where someone you will need to meet with will be.” We all nod, to let him know that we understand. “I will see you in a little while.” He shuts the door behind him as he leaves the room.