Chapter 21

“Becca wake up,” I hear Colton say, shaking my shoulder gently. “We’re almost back.”

            I reluctantly open up my eyes, blinking a few times because of the harsh light streaming the windows of the car. I rub my eyes with the back of my hand and rake the loose hair falling in my eyes back off of my forehead, after I sit up.

            “How much farther,” I say with a yawn following after.

            “About an hour,” Colton answers.

            “Why did you wake me then?” I whine, pouting at him. “I could have had another hour of sleep.”

            “Because,” Parker’s voice comes from the driver’s seat. “I couldn’t take your incoherent mumbling anymore.”

            “I do not mumble in my sleep,” I cross my arms over my chest, looking at Colton expectantly.

            He runs his fingers through his hair before I see the corners of his mouth turn up slightly.

            “Well…”

            “What!” I exclaim. “Why didn’t anyone ever tell me I talk in my sleep?”

            “Not talk, your muttering is too low and quiet to make out,” Colton says, grinning.

            “Still,” I say, letting my back fall against the seat. “I’m going back to sleep.”

            “Oh no, you’re not,” Colton says.

            “Yeah I am.”

            “No, you’re not.”

            “Yeah.”

            “No.”

            “Shut up,” Parker says. “Becca you’re not going to sleep so Colton you can stop your childish bickering with her.”

            “I’m not childish.”

            “There you go again with the immaturity,” Parker says.

I snicker slightly and internally decide that I’m not going to be able to get back to sleep anyway. The sun is way too bright and whenever I close my eyes the lids are painted red. If that’s not enough Colton is not going to let me drift back off, which is fine. He’s just lucky we are only an hour away, if it were anymore he would be getting some revenge.

Parker decided that despite our late night we would no longer be leaving at noon but at six o’clock in the morning. Six and we didn’t get back until after midnight and no one got to bed before one, not to mention I laid awake thinking about the trip.

So we started our commute bright and early at an ungodly hour of the morning, which I have been passed out and unaware of up until now.

Parker and Colton bicker on about who is mature and who isn’t. Quite frankly neither one of them is setting the bar very high. So while they do that, I rest my head on a still sleeping Alec’s shoulder but keep my eyes open so I don’t fall asleep again.

Soon there argument switches to a new topic, one I find uninteresting so I ignore them and go into my own little world until the others start to wake up.

When we’re about ten minutes away, as Colton informs me, Parker pulls into a clearing.

“What are we doing?” I ask as the boys start to jump out of the car.