Chapter 13

Parker drives us down through this path; there are white lights lighting the whole path. That’s impressive, well no it’s really not, but I never thought they’d take the time and remember to have lights down the path. Maybe they had done this before and discovered that it’s not fun to walk back when you’re drunk, in the dark. Seriously you’ll end up getting mauled by a bear or you’ll maul a tree.

            Parker starts to slow down after five minutes or so, he slowly moves along until the party comes into view. It’s set up on the beach, there’s a big tent and volleyball nets, lined up next to the lake. Everything was lit up and you could see perfectly from all the lights placed around the lake and the tent.

            Really I should have known when Parker started driving down to the woods. I’ve been here before; I practically lived on the lake during the summer. It wasn’t that far from my house and I would always walk over and go for a swim to cool down.

            “What if I like the bouncy castle better?” I whisper to Parker.

            “Then you can always join them, I’m sure you’ll be cake-faced and in bed by nine,” Parker smirks.

            “I was just kidding this is cool,” I jump out of the golf cart.

            The rest of the boys pile out after me and Parker pushes some fabric into my hands, “Go put this on.”

            I look down at it, “No way, I’m not going swimming the water has got to be freezing.”

            “Probably but when has that ever stopped us?” he asks.

            “It may not have stopped you but it’s stopping me,” I say.

            “We could always through you in,” Parker suggests.

            “No you’re not, now come on,” I say starting to walk over to the white tent.

            I feel arms come around my waist lifting me up, “Are you going to put on your bathing suit or am I throwing you in?”

            “It’s Colton’s birthday too,” I say. “Go throw him in.”

            “That’s not a bad idea,” Parker looks thoughtful before he runs over to Colton and goes to lift up Colton. “God man what have you been eating?”

            “Hey we all don’t weigh as little as Becca,” Colton defends. “You’re just getting weak,” Colton feels Parkers bicep. “Yes, definitely flabby.”

            Parker just glares at Colton; apparently his physical health was not something to joke about.

            Nathan yells from the shoreline, “It’s not as cold as you’d think.”

            “Remember its part of a hot spring,” Parker reminds me. How could I forget? It’s heated even in cold weather it feels oddly warm and enjoyable.

            “Okay I’ll go in later,” I agree. I absolutely love swimming and as long as the water is a bearable temperature I can handle it. This year was also being odd; it was strangely warm this October.

            “How about you go in now,” Parker pushes.

            “Why?” I ask.

            “Because the water stuff is where you’re going to have the most fun,” Alec chimes in.

            I shake my head disbelievingly, “If I must,” I agree. “Where can I get changed?”