Chapter Ten

"Grandma used to always tell us 'If you want to know, ask the question. You may not get another chance.' William, you, and Suzie never pass up the moment to ask some really fucking weird or awkward questions. you two kill me - too soon?"

"I didn't take you as a Denny's type of person" I said looking around the small diner as the waiter brings us to our table.

"I didn't take you as the eating type of person." She shoots back.

"What's that supposed to mean?" It comes out more amused than I feel.

"You weigh like what, 100 pounds?" She looks me up and down before sliding into her side of the booth.

I bite the inside of my cheek, I hated myself quite a bit if were being honest. But the one thing I hated more than anything was the way I was looking these days, the constant throwing up hasn't been doing me any favors either.

"Guess so." My eyes drop to the table, the playful mood I've worked to keep going was shifting, leaving in its place an awkward uncomfortable feeling.

Maybe this was a mistake, she clearly thinks very low of me, or anyone who does drugs I suppose. I don't blame her, I'm sure she sees what it does to her brother every day I wouldn't be very happy if someone who encouraged my brother to do things like that suddenly wanted to be my friend.

After we ordered and our waitress walked back to get it started, I decided that there was no use in waiting anymore, especially if my friendship goal is being thrown out the window, so I cut right into it.

"So, why the sudden fascination with me?"

She swirled her straw around her coke then met my eyes. "I wouldn't call it a fascination."

"Interest then, whatever." My eyes rolled almost as far as they could.

"I don't know... call it intuition."

"Intuition?" One single eyebrow raises. "To what exactly?"

"I've just seen some things, heard others. I guess you could say, I'm pretty observant."

I pull my head back a bit. "What is that supposed to mean?" I'm not even going to humor the fact that she took my comment about her being observant and turned it around on me.

"Jesus, why do you keep saying that? I hate that question." She shakes her head and leans forward on the table. "I hear a lot about you from Ian and I always thought 'wow, this guy could use a real friend' the more I heard about you the more I thought maybe I could... help or something I don't know. I just know Ian isn't a great friend and you don't ever seem to be around anyone else except that one guy who drives you around. But, you guys look so similar I assume it's your brother."

"Help me?" I leaned back against the booth. "You told me you didn't want to be my friend. And what does Ian have to say about me? I'm not sure why he's even bringing me up in conversation to you." I lean back onto the booth a little harder than expected.

Ian and I aren't exactly friends. We just get together, do drugs, then go our separate ways, so it's a bit surprising to me that he even assumes he has enough information about me to bring me up in casual conversation. I'm almost positive I've never mentioned him or Caden to anyone ever, why would I? I can feel the anger starting to rise. I have to remember I'm not mad at her, or him. I'm just mad, and that's okay. I take a few slow and silent deep breaths I can't let any type of emotion out while I'm here with her. I'm making a friend, not scaring the shit out of someone.

Still, I can't help but think that I should have sat in my room alone for the rest of the night, the silence would be better than this. I'm not sure why I'm getting so worked up about it anyway people talk, it's not something that's out of the ordinary. I have to remember that just because I don't talk to anyone doesn't mean that normal people don't.